Hello

PaulV

Location (City and/or State)
ROCHESTER
Hi,

I am in the process of getting my wife a tortoise for Xmas. I have the habistat table, the lamps and everything I need.
Just looking for general advice
Thanks

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Is that Rochester UK?
If you are getting one of the Mediterranean species which are the most common in the UK this is the caresheet you need to follow to make sure he has everything he needs to thrive.
There is a lot of old and incorrect information still circulating about tortoise care with pet shops only too happy to sell unsafe and unsuitable equipment for profit.
Open tables are not recommended for babies - a large viv will make it easier to control temps and humidity, but there are ways to adapt the table with plexiglass or a portable mini greenhouse, if you can't swap what you. have.
A few quick tips, steep water dishes can be a tipping/drowning hazard, coiled and cfl type lamps burn tort eyes, mvb bulbs dry and damage tort shells, red lamps encourage torts to eat things they shouldn't; sand can cause impaction of the gut and pellets are too dry and rot. Dial type thermometers aren't reliable and shop'garden centre bought plants have to be washed, repotted and left for at least a year to grow out any chemicals used on them.
If you post some pics of the lamps and equipment you have we can help make sure they're safe to get your tort off to a good start.
You'll also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful for finding a varied diet

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

I am in the process of getting my wife a tortoise for Xmas. I have the habistat table, the lamps and everything I need.
Just looking for general advice
Thanks
Glad you found us BEFORE you bought a tortoise! We can help you get the correct care info and not have to learn the hard way. Pet shops, vets, and most internet sources give all sorts of old, wrong info.

What species are you getting? What age and size? Where in the world is Rochester?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There are 19 cities with that name here in the US too. :)
I thought there might be at least one - but 19!?
Well the US is big enough for all of them I suppose.
I did ask the OP if it was in UK but he's not replied yet.

PaulV

ROCHESTER
I was all ready to pull the trigger and buy a spur thighed tortoise but I put a picture of the tortoise I was going to get in the health section here and someone replied they're dehydrated don't buy them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211126-115811_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20211126-115811_Messages.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20211126-115820_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20211126-115820_Messages.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 7