Hello!

Laura51

Location (City and/or State)
Palm desert
Hello, I have had turtles since 1977. Currently I have 2 russians and a new baby indian star arrives tomorrow! Im so excited !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. A lot has changed since you first got tortoises. Please read our care sheets so you will be able to update yourself on what is acceptable care and what is now old, outdated and wrong care.
Like thinking tortoises needs a friend and keeping them in pairs, very wrong dangerous outdated info. Also that mixing species is fine, it's not.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, hope we see some pics when your new family member arrives. 😁

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I have had turtles since 1977. Currently I have 2 russians and a new baby indian star arrives tomorrow! Im so excited !
Hello and welcome. You have me beat by two years!

Read this. There are care sheets with the current correct care info for both of your species at the bottom:

Laura51

Palm desert
Hello and Welcome. A lot has changed since you first got tortoises. Please read our care sheets so you will be able to update yourself on what is acceptable care and what is now old, outdated and wrong care.
Like thinking tortoises needs a friend and keeping them in pairs, very wrong dangerous outdated info. Also that mixing species is fine, it's not.
Oh no I'm not mixing them together and they have separate enclosures. My baby is still going to be in a closed humidified enclosure for the next two years or so. My Russians are already five and six years old.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura51

Palm desert
Oh no I'm not mixing them together and they have separate enclosures. My baby is still going to be in a closed humidified enclosure for the next two years or so. My Russians are already five and six years old.
Oh no I'm not mixing them in the same enclosure baby has a humidifier enclosure am I Russians, or outdoors and indoors
BE10100C-AA63-4A29-8BC2-5CE666FDAA6B.jpeg
This is my new baby not sure of a name yet just calling it nugget
923DCE72-FCA4-4BCF-9E3B-30C1300E7347.jpeg

Laura51

Palm desert

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Nice tortoises! Nugget is a little cutie. Milo and Ollie look wonderful also. One suggestion is I would take the moss out of the enclosure. It molds and Nugget might eat it. I think from reading other posts it might also cause impaction if eaten.

Laura51

Palm desert
Nice tortoises! Nugget is a little cutie. Milo and Ollie look wonderful also. One suggestion is I would take the moss out of the enclosure. It molds and Nugget might eat it. I think from reading other posts it might also cause impaction if eaten.
Oh thank you I was just trying to keep the humidity high but I will definitely take it out. any other suggestions that I could put in there to hold moisture or is the water dish enough and wetting down the enclosure. He’s in a 66 quart tub with the lid on with a cut out for the lights trying to keep it as humid as possible so his shell and him get some moisture.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Not sure what you are using for substrate for Nugget. But the substrate you are using for Milo and Ollie looks like reptibark. That is a good substrate. You can pour water directly on it to keep it damp. Get as wet as you can without standing water.

AmandaF

Congresbury
welcome to the Forum. The people are here have amazing knowledge, you can ask them anything. Nugget is gorgeous, as are Milo & Ollie. Amanda & Ernie 🐢

Laura51

Palm desert
Not sure what you are using for substrate for Nugget. But the substrate you are using for Milo and Ollie looks like reptibark. That is a good substrate. You can pour water directly on it to keep it damp. Get as wet as you can without standing water.
Thank you ! I will do that .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The two Russians really need to have their own enclosures. It's very stressful on them to be in pairs. Tortoises should not be kept in pairs, specially Russians.

Laura51

Palm desert
Im using 1/4 calcium sand , mixed with repti soil ,forest floor, and orchid bark mixed together. It holds great moisture ! I did take all the moss out and got a mister that soaks much better than a spray bottle. Do you know what age that they’re out of danger being a small hatchling he is almost 2 months I’m assuming it’s more like six?