Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizladyluna

5 Year Member
My name is Devon. My fiance' and I have a 3ish year old Sulcata. We got Tory (nice gender neutral name :)) at our local exotic pet store as a rescue (he/she/it was recovered and rehabed before we got it) when he was about 1.5 years old. He has some unfortunate pyrmiding from his first year but has been growing just fine ever since! Its nice to be here and I'll be posting a question in the sulcata forum in a bit :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Devon:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know where you are?

Mizladyluna

5 Year Member
Lol, of course... sorry :) we are in Las Vegas, Nevada. Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the FOrum!

when you rescued a Sulcata, did you know its going to get REAL BIG (well maintained.... #150+) Hope you got a nice back Yard (in Vegas?)

Mizladyluna

5 Year Member
Yes, we did our research before adding Tory to our brood. Actualy, part of why we got tory was that we had just fallen in love with bubbles, a 8 -10 yo sulcata that was bein fostered at the pet store we got tory from. Bubbles loved sneaking up on customers since he was able to roam around the store, and my lil one honestly concidered riding him @ the time. :) Right now tory is still in his table (and a tad small for his age due to the problems he had before we got him) but we are currently house shopping with the yard size as base criteria. The move should be within the next 6 months or so. But yes, we are well aware of the size and longevity (we cleared the purchase with the kids as well, since tory will be theirs when we are beyond caring for him) of these wonderful creatures!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When I think Vegas and pet stores, I just one pops into my mind. If memory serves me something like Exotic Pets? Has loads and loads of baby turtles and some tortoises?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I'm glad you researched and planned appropriatly! So many fall in love with Sulcatas.... till they start growing... and keep growing! Once they get bigger than a dog, the owner start thinking...."Zoo" but they arn't interested.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Welcome! You've found the right place, I am so happy for the wonderful people on this site.

Mizladyluna

5 Year Member
Lol, yes the place is called Exotic Pets :). And its funny in a way.... long before Brian actualy formaly asked me to marry him (note, this is the second go round for both of us) he declared to me - "some women get a ring, you.... get a tortoise" I'm hoping we don't start a new family tradition with that one! Sorry, just wanted to share that :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
What a coincidence.... my wife (Cathie) and WalkingRock came as a package deal. WalkingRock was just 4 at the time but it has been the biggest thrill of my life so far to take care the big guy! Next year I get to build him a new house and raise my garden another timber to keep him out.

Mizladyluna

5 Year Member
Hehe :) honestly, tory is a joy too. Should have seen us trying to explain to our realtor about why it was soooo important to have the large yard, next to no concrete, and NO pool (a tall order here in vegas, at least where we are looking to buy) he thinks its funny since these requirements for this reeason is nothing he has ever had to fill before :) can't do much in the way of gardening out here, but I do intend on at least a few pomagranite trees when I've got a yard to put them in.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
you might try "Drought Resistant" Bermuda grass in your yard. as long as you have a watering system in your yard... it might take hold and Sulcatas do LOVE Bermuda Grass! (at least WalkingRock does!)

Status
Not open for further replies.