Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
I recently came into a native Arizona desert tortoise that came into my clinic (I work at an emergency animal hospital here in the valley), that was attacked by a canine. Unsure if it was a coyote or a domestic pet. It had two small punctures that are healing great.
I have had sulcatas and leopards, but this is my first dt. I have always wanted one, but never got around to adopting one. Then this one comes in to my hospital and I jumped all over it. He/she is very active and is awesome. Not to keen on any supplental greens and vegetable/fruits and such, but loves the blue grass I put into his/her enclosure. He/she is still very small, about 2-3 inches.

Anyway, I am a reticulated python guy and keep/breed them, but have a HUUUGGGEEE soft spot for certain toroise species, particularly my native dt species. Seems like a great forum

I will get a pic up soon.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visits here. DTs ( AKA gopher tortoises) ) are a great tortoise to have.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Thank you very much. I have always loved tortoises, but something about native species that you see out and about while herping (or whatever) and having one, is just special. I have named him/her Cooter (for now, until I for sure know the sex in a few years). This tortoise is soooo active during the day, its awesome. None of my other sulcatas and leopards were active at all (thats the reason I adopted them out a little while ago).

I cant wait to build him/her an enclosure outdoors when he/she is bigger

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi reticguy76:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

The powers that be have recently decided that there are two sub species of western desert tortoise, the Gopherus agassizii, north of the Colorado River, and the Gopherus morafkai, south of the river. Here's an article on it, if you're interested.

http://www.basinandrangewatch.org/Tortoise-Species.html

I'm with you...I love the desert tortoise. They are SO easy to work with. They don't seem to have a fear of human intervention. I have several of my own, but I get quite a few rescues every year that I adopt out.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
My name is Ryan. Thanks Yvonne.

I will for sure look at that article.

Here is a question, does anybody know how long any pesticides and chemicals would stay "harmful" in a yard to plants and weeds? Meaning, I bought my house about 3 years ago, and never have treated my back yard with anything (except ant killer a couple times along the ground perimeter of the house), but dont full know about anything that might have been treated prior to my move in. Ive been a little reluctent on letting Cooter cruise around the backyard area and graze for a couple hours a day or so. So, if I were to assume that the yard had been treated at some point, is it moot point that it will ever be safe for Cooter, or is there a time that would be ok from the time any treatment may have been done.
For example, lets say my yard was treated with weed and/or grass killer right before I moved in (say January of 2009 for example), you guys think its not ever safe no matter when or how many times the yard was treated, or would 3 years be enough time and be safe ??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If it has been 3 years It is more than safe,

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Awesome !!! I have never treated any of my weeds or grass in the backyard, so its been at the very least 3 years.

thanks so much. I will start lettin him/her graze out there during the day to get out of the artifical lighting uvb and heat and get some natural Arizona heat, light and grass/weeds

Status
Not open for further replies.