Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zepherrayne

5 Year Member
New user here from Central Ohio. My name is Darren and I recently got a baby sulcata as the newest member of my family. Littlefoot is a determined little guy, I am actually very surprised at how much of a personality he has. I do have a couple of questions that I hope that someone can give me some advice on. I have done a lot of research, but I feel that every website I go to contradicts the previous one.

1. What is a good humidity for sulcata enclosure?
2. How do I get him to eat more grass? I can put him In the yard to graze and he will find the only weed in the yard to eat rather than any grass.
3. I have a ten gallon terrarium that he currently calls home. What type of substrate would be the best for him?
4. How often should I soak him?

I have more but we can start with those. I truly appreciate any insight.

Thanks again.
Darren

5 dogs. 2 dobies (Kai & Iason) 3 iggys (Ricca, Xavier, & Tomas)
1 bearded dragon (Spike)
1 sulcata (Littlefoot)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and we LOVE PICS :p

Humidity; well, if you plan on keeping the baby in a warm humid environment then some folks go humidity around 70+, but please make sure that you don't let the overall temp drop below 80 degrees, even in the night hours.

If he is eating weeds, then by all means let him eat away...he will eventually get a taste/hankering for grass.

A 10 gallon tank will quickly be outgrown, so you may want to get planning for a larger enclosure....I personally like Peat Moss for substrate;

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoors/landscaping-supplies/premier/peat-moss-3-cu-ft-53928.html

But the size of the package is BIG, you can also use coco coir which you can purchase in much smaller amounts and works well too.....

I would soak him at least once a day and not let more than two days pass for soaks....just my opinion and what I do here for the babies (I do not have sulcata torts but am referring to redfoot babies)

The others will stop in soon enough to offer you additional opinions, so wait round....:D

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Welcome! The weeds are great for him so no worries. I like to keep humidity around 70-80% and soak daily for a minimum of 15 minutes. I like coconut fiber for the substrate because it helps with the humidity and it easy to keep clean. I'd start thinking now for a bigger enclosure, 10 gal isn't going to cut it. Good luck and welcome again!

TheMindBuddah

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Hi Darren and welcome! Just joined myself with a 4 month old sulcata! This seems the best place to pick up any info on the little chaps!

Zepherrayne

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the warm welcome and the great advice. Here are some pics of Littlefoot for everyone.

Attachments

• image-2128902739.png
    image-2128902739.png
    229 KB · Views: 1
  • image-3808882402.png
    image-3808882402.png
    915.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image-462583831.png
    image-462583831.png
    892.8 KB · Views: 1

Zepherrayne

5 Year Member
Let's try adding these pics one more time. Lol.

f2b77562.jpg
2c53d812.jpg
ae012bd5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.