Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NolaGirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
Hello! I'm new to this site. I've been reading through this site for quite some time and decided to finally join in. I'm a new owner of a baby Sulcata tortoise named Morla. I got him/her about a month and a half ago. It was 2 weeks old when I got it. I'm looking forward to being a part of this community. There's a wealth of info on here. This site has been EXTREMELY helpful to me. :)

ahhwataday

5 Year Member
Rockville, VA
Hello, I just signed up too. I dont have a Sulcata but thats what I want. Hopefully for Christmas haha

Does you new baby keep you busy? I sometimes work over 70 hours a week and Id hate for my tort to become depressed lol

Goodluck and hope to hear from you

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Hello and welcome to the forum. This is a great place for info!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome, you've come to the right place. If you click the threads under my signature there is lots of information on raising a smooth healthy sulcata, thanks to Tom. I'm a sulcata lover too.

Hantslad

5 Year Member
Welcome, I'm also new here, but have been made to feel very welcome and look forward to reading more. x

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
Hello and welcome to the forum. I too have a sulcata and this site has been so helpful. Everyone seems to be super friendly and will give you as much help as they can. Good luck to you and your new family member!

NolaGirl

5 Year Member
New Orleans
ahhwataday said:
Hello, I just signed up too. I dont have a Sulcata but thats what I want. Hopefully for Christmas haha

Does you new baby keep you busy? I sometimes work over 70 hours a week and Id hate for my tort to become depressed lol

Goodluck and hope to hear from you
My animals in general keep me kinda' busy. I have a baby Sulcata, a baby Veiled chameleon, 2 rabbits, 3 cats and a fish tank. I have a small menagerie. LOL! To answer your question about the tortoise keeping me busy or becoming depressed without lots of human interaction...in the wild, tortoises are very solitary animals. The don't need much "attention", but they do require appropriate care. I did lots of research on these tortoises before getting one. It's a commitment. They need proper temps, substrate, enclosures, diet, supplementation, etc. These torts are the 3rd largest species in the world! You can keep them in an indoor enclosure temporarily, but eventually, you will have to create an outdoor enclosure for them. They need lots of space. They have been known to dig large holes and tunnels, so be ready to build a fortress around it's outdoor enclosure. LOL! ;P They also live very long lives and will possibly outlive us, so there will have to be someone to care for it after we kick the bucket. :) This forum has been EXTREMELY helpful in my learning to properly care for my tort. I'm still learning. There's a wealth of info. on here, and not to mention, everyone is so eager to help. I look forward to being a member of this forum.

ahhwataday

5 Year Member
Rockville, VA
Cool cool, waaay too many pets for me haha. Thanks for the reply! It is nice that every one is willing to help, they care about the animals. Most forums im on people say "here we go again, figure it out on your own" lol, whats the point of a forum...but this is the best so far (out of atleast 12) and Im sure My tort will have a long happy life thanks to these guys

NolaGirl

5 Year Member
New Orleans
ahhwataday said:
Cool cool, waaay too many pets for me haha. Thanks for the reply! It is nice that every one is willing to help, they care about the animals. Most forums im on people say "here we go again, figure it out on your own" lol, whats the point of a forum...but this is the best so far (out of atleast 12) and Im sure My tort will have a long happy life thanks to these guys
Yeah, in some forums, the senior members ignore the questions that they think are "trivial" from the junior members..they call us "noobs". LOL! Well, questions that they think are trivial are a really big deal to new owners. We're here for help. Forums aren't a fraternity. ;) There is lots of conflicting info. on the care of torts floating around the internet ..well, the care of reptiles in general. I even spoke to 3 different Vets and was told something different by each of them pertaining to Sulcata care. It can be very confusing. We're here to learn from experienced owners. Sometimes they like to toot their own horns to each other. LOL! It doesn't seem like there's much of that going on here. Everyone is super helpful and patient so far.

ahhwataday

5 Year Member
Rockville, VA
O i know what you mean. I first learned of and studied Sulcata's in 05. Everything was so mixed up I thought no way could I adopt a tort and just HOPE he does ok haha. Even now the pet stores still dont know very much. I have a lot to learn before I get mine. I feel pretty confident now but I think I want my table build and complete before I bring one home. I was going to start building today but after going to lowes and seeing the 100,000 light bulbs, I figured I would wait, lol

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to tfo all of you. You are among friends

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
A bit late on this, but since somebody has already given a recent reply, I'll use it as an opening to welcome you. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.