Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hi. I am from Ohio. I learned of this site the other day from a fella I met at a local pet store I frequent. I have:

1.2 Redfoots
0.0.1 Burmese Mountain Tortoise
3.3.2 Blanding's Turtles
1.2 NA Wood Turtles

I'm really glad I found this site as I'm having a tough go at it with my recently acquired mountain tortoise. I've been on other forums and not much time is spent on the tortoises, let alone a mountain tortoise. I've already learned a few things in these past couple days reading up on some of your threads. Look forward to meeting you all in the future.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Welcome to the forum. That's a nice combination of torts you have. Hopefully you can post some pics soon. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Harris:

2323330vytll4z31j.gif

to the forum!

If you keep your little mountain tortoise the same as you would keep a box turtle, you should be ok. What problems are you having?

Yvonne

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
You are in the right place to get lots of information and advice. Welcome to Tortoise Central!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the forum! What a large tort family you have. :) Post away, and we love pictures.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
emysemys said:
Hi Harris:

2323330vytll4z31j.gif

to the forum!

If you keep your little mountain tortoise the same as you would keep a box turtle, you should be ok. What problems are you having?

Yvonne

I can't get the little guy to eat consistently. He is 27 months old, and as of yesterday I've had him for 7 weeks. I have tried EVERY possible food known. He will only take a bite or two than walk off. He actually took his very frist bite of food about 10 days ago. I believe I'm doing everything right environmentally.....75to 82 degrees, 80% humidity, good air circulation....He just has me stumped at the moment.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What kinds of foods are you offering him?

If you have access to an Asian market, buy some of the Asian vegetables and greens. I have a yearling mountain tortoise that would only eat grated zucchini for the longest time...about a year! Finally about a month ago, she has started to sample other things on the food station. I offer Bok Choy, Allocasia, Banana tree leaves, escarole, endive, mushrooms, red-leaf lettuce, the dreaded zuchini and any other veggies that I'm feeding to the other tortoises. I occasionally offer a nice fat worm or cricket, some canned cat food or a hard boiled egg, shell and all.

Yvonne

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
emysemys said:
What kinds of foods are you offering him?

If you have access to an Asian market, buy some of the Asian vegetables and greens. I have a yearling mountain tortoise that would only eat grated zucchini for the longest time...about a year! Finally about a month ago, she has started to sample other things on the food station. I offer Bok Choy, Allocasia, Banana tree leaves, escarole, endive, mushrooms, red-leaf lettuce, the dreaded zuchini and any other veggies that I'm feeding to the other tortoises. I occasionally offer a nice fat worm or cricket, some canned cat food or a hard boiled egg, shell and all.

Yvonne

Yeah, I've tried everything that you mentioned and more, with the exception of the Asian food idea. I'll have to look into that one. The very first thing I got him to eat was a chunk of fungus growing on a dead tree in my Redfoot's outdoor pen (They love it!). But then he won't touch a mushroom??? Every other day I concoct a new food recipe for the little guy. I'm bound to stumble across something!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
harris said:
The very first thing I got him to eat was a chunk of fungus growing on a dead tree in my Redfoot's outdoor pen (They love it!). But then he won't touch a mushroom???

I keep forgetting to mention to new Manouria keepers: they are precipitation inspired feeders...that is, they come out to look for food when it rains. Try sprinkling his habitat right before you put the food down for him.

Yvonne

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
emysemys said:
harris said:
The very first thing I got him to eat was a chunk of fungus growing on a dead tree in my Redfoot's outdoor pen (They love it!). But then he won't touch a mushroom???

I keep forgetting to mention to new Manouria keepers: they are precipitation inspired feeders...that is, they come out to look for food when it rains. Try sprinkling his habitat right before you put the food down for him.

Yvonne

Yeah, I keep it raining in his habitat pretty consistently. He's a cool little dude; very outgoing personality and always watching what I'm doing in his room. I've heard from some keepers that there's just some that take a really long time to really get acclimated to their new envronment. I personally think he experienced a terrible plane ride on the way up from Florida and is just taking a while to snap out of it.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
HI there, and welcome. I don't know if this is advice or just what happened to me. I get migraines and usually I get them in the early earlyAm and get better later that night. Well this last one was a doozey and it was over 24 hrs that I was indisposed. My lights etc over my young Nougats (young 4 mt RF)tank are on a timer, rest of my tort guys are outside and have what they need for an extra day. My hubby has enough animals to feed when I am out of it, so I rarely ask him to feed the baby.
Well to the point finally(just trying to explain first why I would allow a tort to go hungry!!) Nougat missed a day feeding and this AM I just gave him some soaked mazuri with a little of the Softgel on top, mostly for color. Let me tell you, he came running!! Usually he just gets there, but he usually eats just about all I have offered. But he was hungry today!!He hasn't had mazuri in over a month,because of all the great stuff growing outside. But a day without food, maybe your mountain might need that? Learn to appreciate food that's offered!!
Anyway just wondering, does everyone feed everyday?
Thanks Na

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Florida, huh? Then did you get him from Vic Morgan? He usually gives out pretty good care and feeding info.

Yvonne

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hi Harris, there is a forum in the U.K. called shelledwarriors.co.uk, that has a forum section called "non-med species--informaton and questions" that has at least two threads about "mountain tortoises"; maybe you could find some helpful info there. Good luck!

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
emysemys said:
Florida, huh? Then did you get him from Vic Morgan? He usually gives out pretty good care and feeding info.

Yvonne

No. The Turtle Source in Ft Myers. They've been real great with helping me through these issue's. Although now I'm learning Mr Morgan appears to be a real icon with these tortoises, along with yourself! Your pictures are fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.