Hello!

Sherbie14

I'm tracey, I live in the UK I have two hermanni tortoise's. Sherman my 6 year old male and herbie my 7 years old female, herbie laid her first clutch this year, so we have babies on the way hopefully!! Advice needed about the eggs, how do I know if an egg is rotten?? Are the eggs fertile??

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Hope some expert will get back to you on your egg question.

Care to show some photo of your cuties?? And there eggs. Thanks.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Tracey welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Hermanni are great ! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402275435.674899.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations.
Sherman the herman> odd.
Eggs will be rotten when they start to mold, collapse, or smell. Only time will tell if they are fertile, if you candle them, you will start to see veins appear, then an embryo.

Sherbie14

image.jpg image.jpg Herbie is the biggest out of the two, thank u all for all your replies I really appreciate it x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tracey:

Welcome to the Forum!

If your female tortoise has not been with a male, then the eggs she lays are not fertile. If, at any time in the past 4 or 5 years she was with a male, then the eggs MIGHT be fertile, as they can hold sperm for about 4 or 5 years.

Flipper

MO, USA
Hi Tracey:

Welcome to the Forum!

If your female tortoise has not been with a male, then the eggs she lays are not fertile. If, at any time in the past 4 or 5 years she was with a male, then the eggs MIGHT be fertile, as they can hold sperm for about 4 or 5 years.
Holy crap! She can store sperm! :eek: what a lady!

Sherbie14

Hi Tracey:

Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for the quick reply, She has been with sherman my male For Years Now So There Is A Chance They Could Be Fertile, I Think Only Time Will Tell. I have never hibernated either of them and I know they usually don't breed if they r not in their normal cycle, so does anyone know why she's laying like this?, will she lay even year now?? X