Hello

Tanushree

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi everyone I am originally from India and a proud owner of two star tortoise. Theyre around 4 yrs old now. But I moved to Michigan, USA a year back. I and my boyfriend are going to buy two sulcata tortoises today. I am a bit nervous as well as excited too. Nervous, because Michigan is a cold place and I want to make sure my pets stay healthy.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Welcome! Are you able to house your sulcatas seperate? Tortoise do not do well together in pairs. It will almost always result in bulling and one tortoise will suffer. Maybe, you could just get one? Easier to figure out housing for one.
I have a sulcata and I'm in ohio, mine is still small but we have a big heated barn for when she gets too big for the house. Good luck :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I agree with Lisa. Get one sulcata tortoise. Chances are VERY GOOD that two sulcatas will not be able to live together for any length of time. They don't like having to share their space. You will end up with one larger than the other, and the smaller one hiding all the time so that eventually you have to build a separate habitat for one of them. In Michigan, finding room to house ONE sulcata in the winter is challenging, but to try to keep two separate sulcata habitats warm in Michigan's winter would be a BIG challenge.

You can't go by how your star tortoise interact. Star tortoises are very different from sulcata tortoises. I guarantee you will have problems with two sulcatas.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . It looks like everybody is giving some good advice . So what do you think about Mich . So far ? I was born in Mi. Saginaw . About 20 yrs ago I moved to AZ. But my son still lives there . Have a great tort day ! And welcome .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Tanushree

Michigan
Thanks everyone... But we already got two... And they seem to be doing fine till now... I got a zoomed terrarium for them and have a 60W UVB bulb for them. I'm not sure how to keep the humidity levels high for them. I do soak them daily in warm water but should that be enough?

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Thanks everyone... But we already got two... And they seem to be doing fine till now... I got a zoomed terrarium for them and have a 60W UVB bulb for them. I'm not sure how to keep the humidity levels high for them. I do soak them daily in warm water but should that be enough?
What substrate are you using for them? Some are too dry but some keep the humidity levels perfect.......welcome to the forum by the way!:)

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Welcome! You'll find great advice here. Better than what you'll find anywhere else on the internet. ;)

Tanushree

Michigan
i am using brownwood mulch right now and spray some water to keep it moist.

Reptilelove

Plymouth
That should be quiet humid then, I would recommend coco coir as that is really good substrate