Hello :)

Jennifer B

Hello! First time poster to the tortoise --- just got our new little lady Russian Desert Tortoise yesterday! Miss Betty Jo :) we got her at PetSmart and I'm concerned after reading some peoples comments about that...

Anyhow, she's set up in a huge red tub, about 3' x 2'. Her substrate is 2/3 reptile bark and 1/3 white sand... (That's what she was in at the store)!

She had a big half-log she can hide under! Were giving her the organic spring mix from the grocery store and supplementing with grassland tortoise pellets...

Concerned because: She hasn't eaten anything tho since we brought her home from the store about 36 hours ago! She's had 2 nice warm baths and pooped quite a bit..,

Not sure what to do?

Last edited:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome. I would remove the sand, it is not a healthy substrate for an enclosure (the risk of impaction is just not worth it), especially an indoor enclosure. I would replace the substrate with peat moss (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Premier-3-cu-ft-Peat-Moss-70976040/100626048), wet it some, then hand pack it down really hard so there is a firm ground for the tort to walk about on...this will allow the torts legs to gain proper motion and muscles.....

Don't be alarmed by the tort not being interested in eating...some can take awhile and they will be fine...just let the tort rest and explore their new world and have time to settle in....

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Welcome. Assume that everything the store told or sold you is wrong. They also misrepresented your tortoise's age and origin. Go to russiantortoise.org for good information in one place.

This time of year there are many weeds and flowers to feed to provide a good varied diet.

The habitat is too small for an adult. Do you have a soaking dish? UVB light an proper temperatures are important for eating. An animal that is too cold or too hot won't eat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jennifer and welcome to the Forum!

We have a care sheet for Russian tortoises shown at the top of the Russian section.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

This is a great site. The only thing that I don't agree with is them recommending sand as part of the substrate.....but the site offers overall good information....

Brumation will be another thing that you will want to think about as this is a species that includes that as part of their natural life cycle....;)

Jennifer B

What is brumation? I can google it, but maybe you can give me a better explanation?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Jennifer welcome to the TFO from AZ . So when do we get Picts of your tort and it's enclosure . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What is brumation? I can google it, but maybe you can give me a better explanation?

Brumation is the time of the year that the tortoise digs in and sleeps over winter months.....

mojo

Hastings, East Sussex
Welcome, I too have russian tortoise and use just topsoil for substrate a Timmy loved to dig down into it. Agree about not using all sand.

Attachments

• P_20140724_074520.jpg
    P_20140724_074520.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Kaitlynn

Minnesota, USA
Welcome! It looks like you have gotten information about a majority of our opinions of the substrate you are using I use organic topsoil/Eco earth mix. She may not eat for the first week and sometimes longer than that. Spring mix and pellets (like some people on here will tell you as well) are a okay but should not be the only thing in their diets. There are a lot of things that are in most peoples back yard that make great tort food. :) Good luck with your tortoise!