Help! (12yr old wants tortoise temporarily)

mizzox

I've been loving tortoises for 3 months now and love everything about them! But recently, I've had a talk with my mother about them and she made me think realistically about their life span. This Christmas I was going to get one but 50 years is just way too long, it will effect me so much later in life; which is the topic of this. Does anybody have an idea if I could keep it for 10 years then ship it to somewhere or someone; or if it's a full time commitment. All replies are appreciated I thank you for trying to help me with this. If I can't find any good ideas then I'll get a cat, but will stay obsessed with tortoises. That will be painful :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Keeping any live animal is a full time commitment. That animal will depend on you 24/7.

I have no problem with someone raising a reptile for a few years and then finding it a new good home. As long as the animal's needs are met, it won't care.

And they are just hitting their prime at 50 years old. There have been several on record at over 180 years old.

mizzox

Keeping any live animal is a full time commitment. That animal will depend on you 24/7.

I have no problem with someone raising a reptile for a few years and then finding it a new good home. As long as the animal's needs are met, it won't care.

And they are just hitting their prime at 50 years old. There have been several on record at over 180 years old.
Don't worry, I know what I have to do. Trust me I've done hours of research. I was talking about russian tortoises btw :) I'll look in to that the moment I get it I'll look for a new home if i do get it. BRING ON THE REPLYS heh

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm with Tom on this, but only with reptiles. I don't think other animals, like dog or cats and a few others, should be brought into a home without a commitment to them their entire life.
Make sure you can and are willing to take proper care of it while you do have it. If the time comes, you no longer think you can give it what it needs, or don't feel you want the responsibility, then be sure to find it a good new home and not just dump it on a shelter.
That said, once you get him all properly set up and get into a routine with him, you will see how easy they really are, specially a smaller species like a russian and you will enjoy him too much to want to rehome him.

mizzox

russians can easily live past 50....
Well that wasn't really my main point but okay. Regardless of how long it lives I don't want it any longer then 15 years. But I still love them which is why I want to experience having one at least a couple years maybe 10 with one of these friendly shelled creatures.

mizzox

I'm with Tom on this, but only with reptiles. I don't think other animals, like dog or cats and a few others, should be brought into a home without a commitment to them their entire life.
Make sure you can and are willing to take proper care of it while you do have it. If the time comes, you no longer think you can give it what it needs, or don't feel you want the responsibility, then be sure to find it a good new home and not just dump it on a shelter.
That said, once you get him all properly set up and get into a routine with him, you will see how easy they really are, specially a smaller species like a russian and you will enjoy him too much to want to rehome him.
Sounds good :) but there still is that problem with college, any suggestions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds good :) but there still is that problem with college, any suggestions?

Family/friend could care for him or possibly bring him with you. Lots of parents take care of their kids pets while they go off to college. If I were you, unless your going to college in the next year or two, then don't fret it until then. However, if your going to college in a year or two, then wait until your out of college to get one.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi. I really admire your way of thinking as far as owning a pet is concerned. Let me tell you:

1) I'd never dealt with animals and never had a pet tilI bought a Greek tort about 3.5 years ago. And....
2) I live ALONE. In other words, once I'm gone who's to take care of my beloved tort? Only GOD knows. But I thought: "If I go on thinking in such a negatie way I'll never get a tort or any other pet for that matter." So I bought one after a lot of research and I later joined the forum.

Frankly speaking I was not expecting to be able to deal with an animal: I'm afraid of cats and dogs believe it or not, so I decided to go for a wonderful tort. With time I got addicted to it! If I go out for example, I keep thinking: "Is my tort ok? What is my tort doing?" and so on. And mind you... once my tort got used to me it won't eat unless I HAND FEED it! Therefore if I'm to move anywhere I make sure my tort has eaten, taken a soak, all is fine in its enclosure, I then take off. This definitely is a commitment. But I don't mind it. Would you? (I don't mean to put you down).

If anything strange pops up I write to forum member who are of great help.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You are almost 15 years old, right? You are going to experience many changes in your life over the next few years. And the plans you have today will most likely change drastically. I know it is hard to think about that right now. I would strongly recommend that you wait until you were out of college etc. to get a tortoise. or make darn sure your family is able and willing to care for it correctly when you are off at school. And as a sidenote, if you do decide to get a cat or a dog they definitely will be affected if you give them away. I know what it is like to be totally "Obsessed" and wanting a pet but sometimes it just isn't the right time. Someday I will have the horse I've dreamed of forever :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As I said, I see no problem with giving up your tortoise to another good home, but where are you coming up with this 10-15 year figure. How do you know you won't tire of it in 1 year? How do you know you won't still want to keep it in 20 years?

If you know you won't be able to keep it in a few years when you go off to college, then wait until you are settled in after college. My sulcata and other animals went to college with me.

I didn't know we were talking to a 14 year old...

mizzox

As I said, I see no problem with giving up your tortoise to another good home, but where are you coming up with this 10-15 year figure. How do you know you won't tire of it in 1 year? How do you know you won't still want to keep it in 20 years?

If you know you won't be able to keep it in a few years when you go off to college, then wait until you are settled in after college. My sulcata and other animals went to college with me.

I didn't know we were talking to a 14 year old...
I'm 12 but yeah I guess that's close to 14. Reguardless I still need somewhere to take it