HELP!! 6-8month old Hermans tortoise (Septicemia?)

LizaMarie

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi everyone, I just became a tortoise mom. I purchased a baby Herman’s, estimated to be 6-8 months old. I looked at the bottom of his shell and it looks very odd. I contacted the seller and they told me it’s just new growth lines but I’ve been seeing things online about septicemia and I’m very worried. His behavior seems to be very normal, he eats, he drinks, he’s very active and then he sleeps in his hut under his heat lamp. Please let me know what you guys think. I’m posting 2 pics below one was with flash off and the other with flash on. Thank you in advance.

C43DD57A-3CEB-40C5-BE32-B5BCF9609341.jpeg93F54693-3E89-4B17-89BF-1768339E2060.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks okay to me.

Check this out for the current and correct care info:

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Looks okay to me.

Check this out for the current and correct care info:
Welcome LizaMarie. You've come to the right place to get some answers.

LizaMarie

New York
Thank you both! I joined a Herman’s Group on Facebook and everyone is saying go to the vet immediately so I thought I would come here for a second opinion. Thank you so much for easing my worries, I will give that a read!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you both! I joined a Herman’s Group on Facebook and everyone is saying go to the vet immediately so I thought I would come here for a second opinion. Thank you so much for easing my worries, I will give that a read!
Stay off of those FB groups. Bad advice and raging ignorance is the norm. Couple that with a resistance to learning new and correct care advice, and banning anyone who tries to be an experience based voice of reason, and you have a combination of factors that does harm to tortoises.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
See this post... :)