Help a first timer identify new tort's health

pradiansaja

Ok so its my first time keeping tortoise in tempered country and actually buy tort online (i usually buy them at the breeder in Indonesia)

Aaand i am a little concerned about the condition of my tort please can you guys identify is he good or not
Because i dont think he is in a very good condition

Immediately after unboxing i notice some bubbles in the eyes, and honestly, i yhink the eye part is really skinny, eye is deep in eyesocket. He is quite active, not as active as my old tort back in indonesia
And also u notice some worms in the poop

Please help

20161025_161146.jpg 20161025_143103.jpg 20161025_143121.jpg Screenshot_2016-10-25-14-39-03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you need to hydrate him. Soak daily for 20-30 minutes in warm water. I would also have his stool check by a vet for parasites, it does look like his stool is loaded with them and I don't like the color of the poop either.

pradiansaja

It's his 2nd day here, and i bathe him every morning for at least 20 mins, and i can see some worms in the water after he pooped in it, it's like some kind of pinworm, i tried to feed him pumpkin (soneone told me it helps) but he refuses
I think i'll schedule an appointment with vet soon

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is a very large load of parasites! He needs de-worming badly. And you were correct in assuming the sunken eyes indicate he's dehydrated. It might also have to do with the parasites. Leave him in the soaking water for about 30 minutes each time.

Welcome to the Forum! Hope your new little tortoise gets well soon.

pradiansaja

Yes i've been soaking him up at leat 20 minutes everiday, and i want to ask, if i should reduce the light/basking time/temperature?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes i've been soaking him up at leat 20 minutes everiday, and i want to ask, if i should reduce the light/basking time/temperature?

Hello and welcome. I'm glad this tortoise found its way to a caring owner. :)

Get a stool sample to the vet ASAP and show the vet that pic too. They need to diagnose the type of parasitic worm your tortoise is carrying to get you the right medicine. They will need to weigh the tortoise to give you the right dosage too.

You should not reduce light, basking time or temperatures. They benefit from "summer" type conditions when fighting off infection and this tortoise should definitely NOT be hibernated this year.

Here is some more info and some tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Taco*mom

Hi Pradiansaja, warmest welcome to the forum. Sorry I am not much of a help in getting your tortoise better. I'm also new. I live in Indonesia. Mind telling us what country do you live in now? Just curious how you buy the tortoise online and have it shipped from one country to another..

pradiansaja

Just an update on my Tortoise, He's much better now thanks for the good advice, he's roaming about in his enclosure now

(Ps, my tortoise back in indonesia was not Testudo Horsfieldi but Indotestudo Fiorsteni, kinda look the same.. kinda..)

pradiansaja

Hi Pradiansaja, warmest welcome to the forum. Sorry I am not much of a help in getting your tortoise better. I'm also new. I live in Indonesia. Mind telling us what country do you live in now? Just curious how you buy the tortoise online and have it shipped from one country to another..

Taco mom, i'm in US of A right now hehehe, and where are you in Indonesia? I'm in Surabaya, born and raised