Help! Advice for new hatchling

beccabrace

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi, I have had this hatchling for a month now, this is my first and only baby hatched and I was wondering if this is normal. Thanks, any advice would be really appreciated!image.jpg

Donna Shaw

Keighley
Hi, I have had this hatchling for a month now, this is my first and only baby hatched and I was wondering if this is normal. Thanks, any advice would be really appreciated!View attachment 300025

I'm no expert and I don't have hatchlings but the vet told me to keep an eye out for any pinkish areas underneath and seek an appointment asap if I found anything. Maybe wait for one of the experts to come along and give you some advice.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That looks more orangish and like the egg yolk scar has been having trouble healing properly and is now trying to scab over a bit. It is not how it should look. The baby's whole plastron and the scar area shows the baby is being kept way too dry. It needs some good long soaks in warm water and to be kept in a humid enclosure with moist substrate.

beccabrace

England
That looks more orangish and like the egg yolk scar has been having trouble healing properly and is now trying to scab over a bit. It is not how it should look. The baby's whole plastron and the scar area shows the baby is being kept way too dry. It needs some good long soaks in warm water and to be kept in a humid enclosure with moist substrate.
Thank you. I thought so but i just wasnt too sure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I have had this hatchling for a month now, this is my first and only baby hatched and I was wondering if this is normal. Thanks, any advice would be really appreciated!View attachment 300025
I agree that it is not normal. Did you use a brooder box?

Here is some info on how to start babies to avoid this problem in the future:

beccabrace

England
I agree that it is not normal. Did you use a brooder box?

Here is some info on how to start babies to avoid this problem in the future:

Hi, yeah i did, everything seemed healed so i put them into a new enclosure. I only noticed this a couple days ago however.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was noticing the red, swollen-looking right front leg. . . or is that just the picture?