Help, Advise, General questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ognom

5 Year Member
Hey all!

I live in North Orange County. CA (Anaheim) and am having a heck of a time trying to find established grasses, shrubs, etc. I'm hoping to find more in the native types, but I'll be d!@#ed if I can find any nurseries that carry native plants. I know I can get safe plants from Home Depot or Lowe's or seeds by mail order, but like I said, I'm looking for some established natives... Anyone know of any places near Anaheim, Buena Park, Westmisnter, Fullerton, etc.

Also, I've seen photos on this forum with what looks like terracotta plant bases used as watering/soaking dishes. What are they? Terracotta, plastic, what...? Where can I find a couple for my guy?

Thanks,
- tony -

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Any nursery or home improvement store with a gardening center will sell terra cotta dishes. I use a ceramic one in my outdoor enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
turtlestuff.com sells seeds to native grasses and weeds, however, she is notoriously slow at filling orders. There have been many, many complaints about her.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You don't "need" native stuff. Just grow some "good" stuff. Try grow organic.com for some premium pasture mix, and tortoisesupply.com for a really good Testudo mix. Also look into getting and growing your own spineless opuntia cactus pads. Mulberry, grape, rose and hibiscus leaves are also excellent. Pansies, nasturtiums, gazanias, geraniums, and a whole list of weeds are good too.

debryman

5 Year Member
Joshua Tree, CA
Take a drive out toYucca Valley. There is a nursery ther that only sells plants native to the desert. He has lots of Mallow, buckwheat and opuntia as well as other stuff. He is very knowledgable of desert plants and even tortoises. Ask for Mike (the owner).

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I bought native plants and grasses for my CDT enclosure at OSH. The guy who was working in the garden dept at the store near me (Burbank) happened to have a CDT, too, and was very friendly and helpful. But I bet their OC stores are just as helpful and well stocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.