HELP!!! (again) Baby Tort EATING Cypress Mulch Substrate!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aristotle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles Area
I put spring mix greens in feeding dish and practically put his face against a piece of lettuce and he turned around and went back to eating the mulch! Is this normal? Is this okay?? The BRAND is T-REX CYPRESS BED.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
you're not using the colored bulb anymore right? is the tort used to having that as substrate? is he used to eating greens?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Id remove it... its not good for him to keep eating it.. may pass thru.. but could cause some problems.. and not nutritional..
dirt soil or just put a towel down for now...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try giving him a calcium/mineral supplement for a few feedings. That usually means he's lacking something in his system (if its not a colored light).

Aristotle

5 Year Member
Los Angeles Area
Thanks all. Actually he stopped shortly after I posted (I think he's just messing with me - he did the same thing when I posted about his sleeping for 24 hours). I will remove the mulch - it is new. He's used to Coco Coir and Repti-bark (fir). The CHE is not colored, so maybe he thinks the red light effect is normal? I've used it for about 4 weeks. Yes he's used to eating greens - gets them every day. I do sprinkle "Vita-Max" on his food every day, which I was led to believe contained everything my little guy needed . . . but lo and behold I just read the ingredients and all it contains are vitamins and amino acids. And, of course, an instruction to purchase another RepPro product to provide necessary calcium and minerals! Arrgghh - I think pet store employees are people who can't get employment at the DMV - they're EVIL!! So I will make another trip to get a calcium supplement. emysemys - Looks like you win!!

Status
Not open for further replies.