help and advice please on a horse field tortoise

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
The temperature won't tell you about UVB output, but it's also very important. You need a UVB meter if you want to know if your bulb is still producing UVB (but they are costly and most keepers don't purchase them - if you don't have a meter, replace your bulbs every six months and follow the mounting instructions for the bulb exactly). A good thermometer is an absolute must though - no substitute for knowing your temperatures. You can move the bulb lower if it isn't warm enough (or buyer a higher wattage bulb). Tortoises can't digest if they're not getting warm enough.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The temperature won't tell you about UVB output, but it's also very important. You need a UVB meter if you want to know if your bulb is still producing UVB (but they are costly and most keepers don't purchase them - if you don't have a meter, replace your bulbs every six months and follow the mounting instructions for the bulb exactly). A good thermometer is an absolute must though - no substitute for knowing your temperatures. You can move the bulb lower if it isn't warm enough (or buyer a higher wattage bulb). Tortoises can't digest if they're not getting warm enough.

Do you have any idea of their prices? I mean the UVB metres.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
Thank u so much Sarah for ur help my bulb is a 100w combo bulb n is 4 month old I'm using the Exo terra thermometers but iv read that they not accurate so that's y I have purchased the infa red one if my Clyde is constipated will he still eat every 2 days as he doin now or will e not eat at all

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Thank u so much Sarah for ur help my bulb is a 100w combo bulb n is 4 month old I'm using the Exo terra thermometers but iv read that they not accurate so that's y I have purchased the infa red one if my Clyde is constipated will he still eat every 2 days as he doin now or will e not eat at all

Which exoterra bulb is that? If it's one of these http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/intense_basking_spot.php it does not produce any UVB.

If he hasn't pooped for half of a month, I would call that constipation. Cucumber, squash, aloe, and opuntia cactus pads are good choices to get things moving if he is still taking food. And keep up the daily soaks (don't worry about them being too long - you may just need to dump the water and replace it with warmer water half way through).

Laura1412

5 Year Member
This is my bulb that I am using He is still eatin every 2 days iv given him climber the last couple of days but not done anything yet he has only eaten 6 days out of the 16 where he has nt pooed however he won't stay under his light to get warm this is the issue I'm having I put him under n near it but sometimes he stays 10 mins sometimes half hour sometimes not at all n straight bak to bed

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
This is my bulb that I am using He is still eatin every 2 days iv given him climber the last couple of days but not done anything yet he has only eaten 6 days out of the 16 where he has nt pooed however he won't stay under his light to get warm this is the issue I'm having I put him under n near it but sometimes he stays 10 mins sometimes half hour sometimes not at all n straight bak to bed

Ah, it's an Arcadia bulb - I misread. Those are generally good bulbs. How far from the substrate do you have it mounted?

Laura1412

5 Year Member
It's about 12 inches away from the bottom of his house it's the little round Exo terra disc thermometers I'm using to monitor temp but I read on here that they not accurate that's y iv ordered the infared thermometer the thermometer that I'm usin (Exo terra) read 35 under basking but if they not accurate he might be too cold

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
You are correct about those dial thermometers - they aren't always reliable, especially in humid conditions. Does it *feel* like 35C with your hand?

Ruling out impaction would be my priority in this case.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
I don't think so now iv just put my hand under but I'm takin him to the vet tomorrow mornin at 10:50 to get him to exam him n then wen my new thermometer comes I will point it down at the floor were he would be n c what it reads n if not I will lower the buld down more Tom said to get my cold end of the table upto 25c however it's only 22 how can I increase that temperature at that end will I need another bulb down there just for heat only

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Tom knows Russian care far better than I, but I wouldn't think 22C was a problem for a cold end (not for a healthy Russian, anyway). To raise the temperature overall, you either need to cover your enclosure (look up closed chambers on the forum) to trap the heat, or add a second bulb.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I'm sorry to keep askin u questions Sarah but I'm glad iv got someone who can help is the table I'm using better than a viv

No worries. Many people use tables for Russians, as they don't have high humidity requirements as adults and it's cheaper to make a large table than a large vivarium. No reason you can't use a table, but you may need multiple bulbs. Not just for heat, but also light - a dark enclosure isn't particularly natural for these guys. They need hides and space to burrow, but outside of that, it should be 'sunny'.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Well if I put another buld at the other end for just heat alone that will increase the cold end temperature do u no what sort of buld I would require n also can I use a split substrate do half in coco coir n half relit bark

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Well if I put another buld at the other end for just heat alone that will increase the cold end temperature do u no what sort of buld I would require n also can I use a split substrate do half in coco coir n half relit bark

You can just get a regular incandescent bulb if you want. If you just want heat and visible light, you don't need anything fancy.

Nothing wrong with splitting substrate if it's more convenient for you.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Is is possible for you to have a safe BIG outside enclosure for him to spend nice days outside? There is nothing like natural sunshine and being outside so they can bask and explore. They seem to thrive both mentally and health-wise being outside.