help and advice please on a horse field tortoise

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
Sorry carol Iv only just seen ur message unfortunately we're I live my climate n weather is a lot colder then abroad I AV been bak to the vets with him today he has had a X-ray and says there is no sign of impaction or any appearing stuck he has howerever given him a enema to try n help him go to the toilet he is goin to b bathed daily n Iv also just bought some coco fibre brick which I hope is coco coir to replace the aspen substrate n my brother is in the process of making me a Perspex lid to cover over his open top enclosure which hopefully will help maintain the temperature he requires Iv got to contact the vet in a weeks time to inform him if the changes to his enclosure as made him bak to his normal self if not he has to go bak for tests So I'm hopin the changes will work

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Can people please tell me will my tortoise be ok with just coco coir as his substrate with out bein mixed please and also what should the correct humidity level in his enclosure

I like coco coir as a substrate, fine in the bottom, coarse over the top. I'd keep the coco coir a bit damp underneath, but humidity is not a huge issue with an adult of your species, especially if you have a dish big enough for them to soak in themselves. With added soaks by you, hydration would be just fine.

A coil bulb would not cause puffy eyes, and neither will the one you have (the myth grows larger). Vitamin A deficiency could, so add more dandelion greens to the diet or use Beta Carotene spray.

Set your temps as advised.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
So what do u advise that I put over the top or the coco coir then please n until I can get something will just the coco be ok on its own in his enclosure n also will it b ok in his wooden box hide were he sleeps I waitin on my hand held infra redthermomemeter comin tomorrow to get an accurate bask in temp as I'm usin the disc thermometers n they are not accurate I been told I'm un sure how old Clyde is but I'm hopin now I'm changin his substrate n put a Perspex lid over his table to close it n keep temperatures warm as my climate is cold that he may go bak to his normal self n start comin out again

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Thank u how often do u mist it please n I don't mean to sound thick but Iv Neva used this before should it feel moist to touch or more dry then moist wen I put it in his enclosure please

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
So what do u advise that I put over the top or the coco coir then please n until I can get something will just the coco be ok on its own in his enclosure n also will it b ok in his wooden box hide were he sleeps I waitin on my hand held infra redthermomemeter comin tomorrow to get an accurate bask in temp as I'm usin the disc thermometers n they are not accurate I been told I'm un sure how old Clyde is but I'm hopin now I'm changin his substrate n put a Perspex lid over his table to close it n keep temperatures warm as my climate is cold that he may go bak to his normal self n start comin out again

They make a fine coco and a coarse coco. I just put the coarse over the fine. Works great for me, keeps the small particles from sticking all over everything. But some do use just the fine (and I suppose just the coarse).

The discs aren't necessarily always bad, but they are cheaply made. Water or high humidity tend to be bad for them.

Will he eat dandelion leaves?

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Thank u how often do u mist it please n I don't mean to sound thick but Iv Neva used this before should it feel moist to touch or more dry then moist wen I put it in his enclosure please

This is why I use coarse over fine. The fine stuff stays damp but the coarse on top is much drier. I would just make sure you can feel that the fine stuff isn't bone dry. You don't need it really wet for an adult like yours.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Yea he will eat any thing wen I get him out his hide but he don't come out on his own at all to bask or eat this is y I'm changing my substrate from aspen n puttin a Perspex top on his table to c if it's a temperture issue He only eats tho every 2 days but I'm hopin now his been to vets n he as given him an enema to help him poop that he will now poop as he has nt for 17 days But no impaction or blockage on his X-ray so that's good

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Yea I think I will do I'm goin to bath him every day while he is not goin but normally I bath him every third day plus he has got his own water bowl in there which is big enough for him to get in if he wants to in his wooden hide that he sleeps in will th coco be ok in there also

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Yea I think I will do I'm goin to bath him every day while he is not goin but normally I bath him every third day plus he has got his own water bowl in there which is big enough for him to get in if he wants to in his wooden hide that he sleeps in will th coco be ok in there also
Yep, the coco coir is great stuff.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
He may not be sick, just embarrassed of the hat... :D

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Tom what is this tube that these are using in this tortoise table I seen on line what is the tube called n the fitment that they av used to hang it over the side what are these called what is the tub used for and how far should be hung away from the substrate in the enclosure n could I use one over my enclosure for Clyde the depth of my table is 9 inches sorry to be a nuisance but I'm tryin to make it as good as possible

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 11