Help and advise needed please (tortoise hides all the time)

lynn parrott

I have a new yr old horsefield tortoise , as soon as we got it home 7pm it buried and went to sleep , still in same position mow 8.am is this normal behaviour xx temp is 29c and I turned lights off at night xxx

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
They do tend to hide at first. They're scared and don't know what's going on. Do you have any pictures of your tortoise and the enclosure? That might help people make specific suggestions. It is good to turn the lights off at night. Some plants in the enclosure might make the tortoise feel more secure, he can hide under them. Check out the Russian tortoise section, there is a lot of great information there. Welcome to the forum.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Torts take time to adapt, so don't panic, and take it easy.

lynn parrott

Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful information , I'm not so worried now as he was awake a lot yesterday and seamed to enjoy exploring his new surroundings , but he went to sleep early evening , I turned lights off , lights back on early this morning , but he is still sleeping , thanks for your help , we are new at this xx❤️

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Torts handle change badly. How badly varies; some adjust in a couple of weeks and some take months!

Establish a routine so your tort knows what to expect and when. I suggest:

- Lights on
- Soak for a good 20 minutes before your tort has warmed up properly. This makes sure your tort stays hydrated at a time when it's not eating properly and also gets it used to being handled.
- Feed straight after the soak
- Walk away. Resist the temptation to watch or keep popping back as it's intimidating.

Gradually you will be associated with nice things and your tort will relax :)

If you haven't already, then I suggest you post pictures of your setup and lighting to see if there are any tweaks we can suggest. We'd also need the 4 key temperatures - warm end, cool end, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum.

lynn parrott

I can't work out how to send a photo , but i have a tortoise table heat light and uv , temp 80f a log arch with bedding in , were he is now sleeping.water , cuttlefish and weeds, he climbs on log a lot during the day , he is active, and we bath him , but he will go to sleep about 5pm then I turn lights out , I turn lights back on about 7/8am and he wakes around 9/10 !!! Is that normAl ? He one yr old

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You have 4 important temperatures and I don't kmow what 80F is. Under the basking lamp should be about 95F. Use a temperature gun to measure them accurately

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I know you are concerned about the sleeping and hiding. Establish the routine I suggested earlier and things should improve gradually if the temperatures are correct.

It is easier to post photos from the cellphone app.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The 4 temps that are important to know and have right are basking area, warm side, cool side and night low. At only a year humidity is also important.
Use the upload file button to add pics.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Temperature and humidity are most important at this stage.
if these are right, he should settle in after a while.