HELP!! Are tortoises sensitive to loud noises?

Lovethetorts!

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles california
hello, my name is Sarah and I need your help urgently!! I have a juvenile Hermann tortoise named Sophie I just got her 4 days ago and she lives in an outdoor encloser be herself. Her encloser is by the fence to my next-door neighbor's house and for some reason early in the morning they started making REALLY loud drilling noises I went over to see and they where drilling this really big hole in there driveway to replace it I guess. then and on top of that they started to make really loud pounding noises. And it was pretty loud. I was REALLY really worried about Sophie becuse she was borrowed in her hay pile so I covered her encloser with a tarp to try to cancel out the noise but I don't know if it is working. And Sophie's encloser is RIGHT next to where they are drilling. I don't won't to move her becuse I don't won't to risk stressing her out more and I don't even have any where else to put her. I have tried everything but the noise is just really really loud. I am behind worried about her and I don't even know when they will stop this drilling noise. Please yell me if there is anything else I can do but I don't think there is so I beg of you to help me will she be alright? I mean the noise isn't to loud for me I can stand it but i heard tortoises don't like loud noises and they are more sensitive then us. Will she get really stressed out? Will she get sick? I am so worried! I don't know what to do! I need help!

Lovethetorts!

Los Angeles california
I put my hand inside the encloser to feel the ground and it didn't seem to be shaking inside her encloser. If I did take her inside I have absolutely no where to put her. And I really don't wont to stress her out by moving her and she has never been inside before. But I am still really worried about her. Could the loud noise kill her?!

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Weird - you should always have an indoor place for your tortoise...... for any emergency situations etc.
Beside the advise above I don’t know what else to tell you.

??‍♀️

I recommend you look for a care sheet for your tortoise on the forum to provide proper care.

Lovethetorts!

Los Angeles california
I know I should get something for inside in case of an emergency. I have been meaning to get inside encloser. I just went outside to check on her and she is out of her hay pile and she is walking around most likely looking for the sun becuse she knows it should be in her encloser by now (she loves to bask in the sun) is that a good sign that she is no longer hiding?

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I am not a tortoise but I hate noises.
Maybe she is looking for a different hide maybe she doesn’t care I don’t know.
I gave you only reasonable advice I had in mind. Maybe others have something different or maybe they know more about a tortoise and drilling noises.

AgataP

Seattle, WA

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
It doesn’t sound like there’s any other options to suggest. You either leave the tortoise stressed and scared in its enclosure that you say is right beside all of the noise and drilling or you move the tortoise inside for now. It doesn’t sound like you’re prepared to move her, but that is what I would do. If they’re jackhammering or ripping up concrete, your tortoise will be breathing all that dust and debris in.

Lovethetorts!

Los Angeles california
I will see what I can do but there doesn't seem to be any dust on are side. And I am not 100% sure but it seems like the stopped all the jackhammering but maybe they are just taking a break. But there is really no way I can bring her inside. But I will try my best

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Take it inside !!!! It’s really not that complex.
I am sorry but there is no other explanation. Seems like you want us to say oh yeah it’s fine.
No it is not fine.
My dogs are scared of the storm. Do I leave them outside and wait till it passes ?
No I don’t. Cuddle them in bed till it’s done.
Being a responsible owner of any pet is to be prepared for any form of emergency to the best of your ability. Which includes having an enclosure ready for your tortoise inside. Before you pitches a tortoise!
I am sorry but you will not hear it’s ok, to keep a tortoise next to the construction zone.

Lovethetorts!

Los Angeles california
I know you are right I took him inside last night i used my turtles heat lamp and put Sophie in a little tub with substrate and a house. I should have listened to you in the first place I am sorry. But luckily Sophie seems to be fine. and I talked to the neighbors and they said they where sorry about the loud noise and hopefully it won't happen again soon.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
We had a new roof installed on our house, and it really upset our sulcata who was inside while all the shingles were being nailed in:

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
That does not sound like a pleasant experience for your tort. Definitely worth moving it if they are using heavy machinery as close as you describe. I suspect tortoises are fairly tolerant of noise though. I'm not sure it's stressed to the point of near death.

They do not use sound as a form of communication or their primary method of sensing danger like other sound sensitive animals. I had to do some loud work on my torts enclosure spanning several hours last weekend, most of it involving hammering and sawing. I felt immensely guilty and opened the gate so they had access to another area of the garden but they seemed to just go about their business as if I'm not there, sauntering around stopping to nibble on a seedling, having a soak and then returning to their hides for a bit before repeating the process some time later. They didn't seek distance or hide from it.