Help ASAP Please. Is my tortoise dead?

Kori5

I have a terracotta saucer. View attachment 179515

The thing that worries me was the fact that he doesn't respond.

I will look for a shallower dish and for in mean time, should I add some stones to the bottom?
Depends on the tort. Some easily right themselves on a flat service while others cannot. Hatchlings tend to have a particularly difficult time flipping back over.

Are you suggesting that this young tort may have drowned trying to right himself with its head? Seems logical, albeit very sad. :(
His not dead! Please people don't make it harder on spud. There's still hope.

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Depends on the tort. Some easily right themselves on a flat service while others cannot. Hatchlings tend to have a particularly difficult time flipping back over.

Are you suggesting that this young tort may have drowned trying to right himself with its head? Seems logical, albeit very sad. :(
He has quite a high domed shell and the water is very shallow as I make sure that it only comes to where the top and bottom of his shell meet so I hope that when he was on his back, his head couldn't reach the water.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica

Not suggesting that at all. I found one of my baby redfoots upside down in his very shallow water, and righted him and made some changes (put a rock in the water). He is quite OK. And I think this little one will be too.

Reactions: Rue

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Not suggesting that at all. I found one of my baby redfoots upside down in his very shallow water, and righted him and made some changes (put a rock in the water). He is quite OK. And I think this little one will be too.
We all hope he will be fine.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
As for tonight... I think I might take out the water dish and replace it with something SUPER shallow like this:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467924654.640316.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you are soaking daily, and he's kept in a humid enclosure like what you have there, you can go without a water bowl until he is bigger. Won't hurt a thing.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
If you are soaking daily, and he's kept in a humid enclosure like what you have there, you can go without a water bowl until he is bigger. Won't hurt a thing.
I am soaking daily and his humidity stays at around 70-80%

I would just go without one for a while but he drinks ALOT during the day and in his soaks. Each morning, and during the day I see him get drinks so I think I should keep a water bowl in there just in case, I'll just have to find something more shallow.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Spud, how's your tort going. I'm a bit confused. Both mine that died recently had head and limbs fully stretched out, and within 24hrs the karatin turned white at the scute boarders.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Spud, how's your tort going. I'm a bit confused. Both mine that died recently had head and limbs fully stretched out, and within 24hrs the karatin turned white at the scute boarders.
I'm so sorry for your loss :(
Darwin is still tucked away I think. (I am in bed right now). He was just starting to settle in and eat and now this happens. I really hope that he gets better. Spud is ok and spent the day outdoors grazing.

Do you know what happened to your torts, if you don't mind me asking? :(

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Get some sleep. I hope everything will be ok.
Internet kids never sleep. :p
I go to bed at around 9 and watch YouTube for a couple of hours before going to sleep. Whenever I feel down or am worried about something, I watch my favourite youtubers Kian and Jc. They always bring a smile to my face and I was even lucky enough to meet them! They are currently on a world tour. They were sooooooo nice!

... Slight change of subject lol.

Night guys

Kori5

Internet kids never sleep. :p
I go to bed at around 9 and watch YouTube for a couple of hours before going to sleep. Whenever I feel down or am worried about something, I watch my favourite youtubers Kian and Jc. They always bring a smile to my face and I was even lucky enough to meet them! They are currently on a world tour. They were sooooooo nice!

... Slight change of subject lol.

Night guys
I had to google them :D. Are they brothers? Cause they look alike! I'm not really into youtubers but do follow some. OTT hear you in the morning.

Randi

Canada
I am so sorry for the situation you find yourself in. My tortoise flipped in a water dish and almost drowned. I came home from work to find it (unsure of sex) upside down in the water dish with the head submerged. The water became a black sludge from feces. My tortoise was very pale. I immediately righted the tortoise. I increased the temperature in the tank slightly for a few weeks after this happened. I added large flat stones into the water dish. I took the tortoise to a vet the next day. The tortoise started a course of antibiotics. The vet said that it would be wise as the tortoise inhaled fecal matter, not just water. The vet had told me the water would pass through the system without a problem but the fecal matter could cause an infection. The vet believes that a back foot slipped while the tortoise was trying to exit the water dish, and that's how the flipping occurred. My tortoise was very stressed after this, and hid for a few days. I still took the tortoise out to be soaked and would place the tortoise in front of the food. My tortoise is fine now and I've never had another incident. I hope that yours will be fine in the end. I am sure that it is under a great deal of stress. I am hoping that is the reason it is tucked inside. It is a very scary situation. I was upset with myself as well. Try not to beat yourself up too badly. What's done is done. Can't go back. You can only make improvements and move forward. Again, I am so sorry for what's happened. I wish for the best for you and yours. :<3::tort:

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Still tucked away and not responding :(
He is warm and is not limp or stiff.

The hiding isn't what scares me, it's the not responding :(

Randi

Canada
Still tucked away and not responding :(
He is warm and is not limp or stiff.

The hiding isn't what scares me, it's the not responding :(

Have you tried to gently pull on a limb or two to see if it pulls it further inside? Or tapping the shell lightly to see if the tortoise retreats further inside? Of course all needs to be done gently as to not harm the tortoise but to see if there is a response of some sort.

Last edited: