Help? (Baby Sulcata in trouble)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanksmommy

5 Year Member
I just got a hatchling sulcata tortoise less than a week ago. And I've noticed he has been making these squeaky noises and sticking his neck out when he breathes. It is kind of freaking me out. Also he isnt very active. But he eats and poops. Ive never had a sulcata before. So I dont know what to do. Hes probably about an inch to two inches. He's very small. His cage was around 75-80 degrees then today I bought a bigger bulb so it stays around 90-95. He seemed to be more active when I put that in. But he is like more active at night I've. Noticed the past two nights. Please someone help me out. ? Thank you.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
RE: Help?

Sounds like your figured it out already, by getting the temps up your tortoise is more active.

hanksmommy

5 Year Member

But this morning he wasn't moving. I put him in his water and he just laid there. And he is clicking his mouth. I made a vet appointment. I'm nervous. I hope it goes well.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Good luck at the Vet's and be sure to let us know what happens. We tend to mentally get involved and worried too, in cases like this. *hugs*

hanksmommy

5 Year Member
I took him in. They said he didnt look too good. They gave me antibiotics and told me to soak him more. His eyes are barely open. I give him eye drops and one opens. The other does sometimes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good luck. Keep everyone updated and ask any questions here, there are a lot of help on here if you need it. Again I wish everything works out good.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Keep him warm and make sure there is moisture. Some folks do soaks with baby food-- I'm not sure if this would help, but throwing it out there. I got mine a heated rock and put him on it- with a towel covering most of it with moisture-- and made a cave. He came around fast. What is yours eating??

M

Maggie Cummings

How is your baby today? It sounds like he has an upper respiratory infection and if that's the case his hot side should be 100 degrees and his cool side no less than 80. If he were mine I would be holding him and making him stay awake...
You should be giving him baby food soaks. I know that some people don't believe in it, but my sister got me started doing them a lot of years ago and I have seen them work.The baby gets vitamin A in through his cloaca and the soft area under his throat, that's a needed part of nourishment.

hanksmommy

5 Year Member
Okay. He has antibiotics too. I soaked him for ten minutes in warm water today. I'm going to get some baby food tonight. Isn't it called pediasure? I don't know what kind id get? Do they have a flavorless one? He's moving more. But one eye is being weird and not opening.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I just saw this post. I hope he's feeling better! I feel for both of you!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Sick babies are very stressing :-( Hang in there, babies are tougher than they look!! You may want to get some Terramycin (available on Amazon) for his eyes, to go along with whatever regimen the vet gave you. When you say one eye is being 'weird' I'm assuming that his third lid is sticking, and Terramycin is an antibiotic that is a good way to keep their little eyes lubricated.

hanksmommy

5 Year Member
Okay I'll look that up. I have repti eye drops. From zoo med. they help a little bit. Thank you everyone. I really appreciate it.

hanksmommy

5 Year Member
Good news. I don't know if the first dose of antibiotic kicked in yet since it has only been a few hours. But he's walking around more, eating, and opening his eyes a little more. I hope this is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.