[HELP] baby Sulcata skin problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mds148

5 Year Member
hi, my baby sulcata have a problem on his skin... it looks like an abscess on the legs. today he ate so little. the temperature is kept around 34-37C. humidity around 60-70%
please take a look at the picture below. what should i do? i'm afraid that tomorrow he won't eat.

Attachments

• 2013-04-17-10-38-06.png
    2013-04-17-10-38-06.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 172
  • 20130417_094450.jpg
    20130417_094450.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 125

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Welcome! Let us get some more information. What substrate are you using? What are you feeding him? What has this guy been in contact with?

mds148

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Welcome! Let us get some more information. What substrate are you using? What are you feeding him? What has this guy been in contact with?

i'm using coco husk for.the substrate.i feed them with pak coy sometimes mazuri. i don't know pak coy in english. izm trying to upload some photos but it could't appear.. it suddenly showed up because his sharemate looks ok.

Attachments

• 20130410_095422.jpg
    20130410_095422.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 89

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Did you let your baby graze on grass outdoor? If yes, do you know if there are any bugs, or was pesticides used on the grass? Also, humidity has to be around 80%, and heat should be above 80 degrees F. You have an open top which will not hold in the heat and humidity it needs. I suggest you use a top to cover 3/4 of the top. The food you said you give (the greens) is it possible it has something on it like like pesticide? Do you rinse out the leaves? Something he is eating or walking on has something that is causing this skin problem. We need you to tell us everything you know?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
mds148 said:
tortadise said:

i'm using coco husk for.the substrate.i feed them with pak coy sometimes mazuri. i don't know pak coy in english. izm trying to upload some photos but it could't appear.. it suddenly showed up because his sharemate looks ok.

The produce is pronounced the same in English, but usually spelled "bok choy." Its a healthy food, a good soure of calcium. I feed it to mine all the time. As pointed out, you'll need to add more variety to the diet to keep him healthy. However, neither the bok choy nor mazuri should be causing lesions like that.

Was anything added to the coco-husk? Any oils, fragrances, pesticides?

mds148

5 Year Member
mctlong said:
mds148 said:
tortadise said:

The produce is pronounced the same in English, but usually spelled "bok choy." Its a healthy food, a good soure of calcium. I feed it to mine all the time. As pointed out, you'll need to add more variety to the diet to keep him healthy. However, neither the bok choy nor mazuri should be causing lesions like that.

Was anything added to the coco-husk? Any oils, fragrances, pesticides?

no pesticide. in the morning i allow them to walk around in a n outdoor tile with a small fence. the humidity n the temperature is.ok.no.pesticide.n i always rinse the bok choy.

in the evening i just rinsed the.legs with alcohol 70% n put a sulfur based paste (it's for skin problem in human) because there's a guy also experienced that n apply that paste. the sulcata's got better in 3 days.

i hope it works. yesterday i mixed a bit of manuka honey UMF +5 in his diet to boost his immune. is that ok?

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
You said he has a "sharemate" is that another tortoise living with him? If its not the same species then it is possible that could be causing a problem.

mds148

5 Year Member
jjsull33 said:
You said he has a "sharemate" is that another tortoise living with him? If its not the same species then it is possible that could be causing a problem.

his sharemate also a baby sulcata :)
today he did't eat. just a bite, that's it

Nic0

5 Year Member
Did you ever figure out what this is? My hatchling has the same type lesion and hasn't quite been herself.

mds148

5 Year Member
Nic0 said:
Did you ever figure out what this is? My hatchling has the same type lesion and hasn't quite been herself.

i never figure it out what was it.. i took to the vet then he gave me an antiseptic and gel. but it didn't work.. can u post some pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.