Help, bleeding Sulcata sex organs

Mary Siarski

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston
Help! I apologize if I’m not posting in the correct place. I have bleeding sulcatas and need help. Two tortoises, 11 yr old and 6 yr old. The older mounted the younger and somehow got stuck. We are not trying to breed. We think the younger is also male. when I went out to separate them, I noticed a long blood trail. We got him off and blood clots fell off of his penis and out of the little one. We’ve washed them the best we can. There is still blood seeping from both. no visible injuries. Can’t get them to a vet tonight. Please give me your expert opinions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I will send an alert to @Yvonne G she may be able to help.
I would give them each a long warm water soak.
Then get them their own enclosures. Tortoise should never be kept together in pairs, specially 2 males.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Help! I apologize if I’m not posting in the correct place. I have bleeding sulcatas and need help. Two tortoises, 11 yr old and 6 yr old. The older mounted the younger and somehow got stuck. We are not trying to breed. We think the younger is also male. when I went out to separate them, I noticed a long blood trail. We got him off and blood clots fell off of his penis and out of the little one. We’ve washed them the best we can. There is still blood seeping from both. no visible injuries. Can’t get them to a vet tonight. Please give me your expert opinions.
Separate them and soak them tomorrow to clean and evaluate them. Males sometimes do this. I had one male injure his penis so badly that he could to longer breed.

If you put two of them together, that is trying to breed. If one knocked a wall down or something like that, well that is a lesson in how not to house sulcatas. Its a lesson I know well.