Help! Broken egg

mintybum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, UK
I have a redfoot egg damaged with a penny sized hole in it, due to hatch end of July, hatchling well formed but small, I've taped clingfilm over the hole to stop it drying out is that about all I can do?

girl_in_a_curl

Middlesex
How did the hole happen? Are you sure it's not trying to hatch early?
Do you still have the piece of broken shell? If so, could you put it back and glue or tape it? I guess the cling film will do a similar job, so long as it is only over the hole and not covering the whole egg.
It might be best to avoid touching/moving it at all as if it is disturbed it might try to leave the egg and hatch too soon. Also, I would make sure conditions are kept dark as I imagine the cling film will let light in where the shell wouldn't - again - you don't want to encourage it to leave the egg too soon.
Maybe someone more experienced can offer better advice... I am only on my 2nd clutch so still somewhat a beginner myself.
Good luck!

mintybum

10 Year Member!
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, UK
I have taped double thick cling just over the hole and covered it with kitchen roll to keep dark, its fully formed just needs to grow a bit and absorb some more yolk etc.
Its a dreadful feeling, I was sorting old eggs from xmas I always make a hole to check they are definetly duds, this egg somehow was on the wrong side of the incubator.