Help!!! (bugs in enclosure)

Today well cleaning Out my tortoises enclosure I noticed tons of bugs!! I need new bedding now! I've tried reptile bark and that didn't work! What should I use??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You will always get bugs. They are fine to leave in. If you want to change it out, bake whatever substrate you get in a low oven, 200-250 degrees for about 3 hours. It will kill any bug eggs or bugs that is in the substrate. Sometimes you will still get bugs, but it will take a lot longer to get them.
You can also take the old substrate and boil it if you have an old large pot you don't care about. Or pour boiling hot water into a bucket that you have already placed the old substrate in. This will help to kill some of them too.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I discovered bugs in my enclosure indoor. It was coming from the wooden log that I used as her hiding hole. I replaced the dirt with coconut coir (always microwave the brick to kill any bugs) and then I used a cement hiding house rather than wood.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I discovered bugs in my enclosure indoor. It was coming from the wooden log that I used as her hiding hole. I replaced the dirt with coconut coir (always microwave the brick to kill any bugs) and then I used a cement hiding house rather than wood.
Never thought to nuke the bricks in the microwave. How long do you nuke them for?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Never thought to nuke the bricks in the microwave. How long do you nuke them for?
Two minutes on each side in my week microwave. You have to be careful though because sometimes it starts to get a little smoky if you do it for too long! :) I actually got the idea from another member on the forum, but I don't remember who!!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Oh no! There are bugs all in Ginger's cage today!!!! What a coincidence. I'm not sure what happened. I'm going to have to change all of her dirt. I think Ginger might have brought them in with her from outside. Tomorrow is cage cleaning day I guess. They are flying around and super tiny and they crawl on the dirt. I haven't had this in a year since I tried the new log and dirt. It's really grossing me out. I hope these little flying ones don't bite her or take her blood or anything. They keep zipping around her face. Do you think they will hurt her? How can I avoid this in the future? I thought this stuff would work!