Help Building a New Outdoor Enclosure for Year Round Use

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hey all! I'm looking to build my Russian tortoise a new outdoor enclosure. The old one has done an admirable job over the years, but is tired. Plus, I'm moving and Mzee's going to have a much bigger yard to roam, so it's time to expand and improve.

I've been browsing through the enclosure threads, and have a good idea of what to build. I'm putting a $500 budget on it, and am able to construct just about everything on my own.

The one area that's stumping me a bit is how to winterize it for year round use. I live in North Carolina, so for the most part our winters are pretty mild. There will be stretches in the teens/20s with cold rain, ice, and occasional snow, but then the next day could be 70F+.

In the past, Mzee has come inside when it's not nice enough for her to be out. I have not hibernated her before, and though I know that's a perfectly acceptable option, do not want to attempt that this year. With this new enclosure, I would like to find a way to keep her outside year-round (with a back-up indoor enclosure if it's really bad).

To our experienced craftsfolk and keepers, do you have any suggestions for a year round outdoor enclosure WITHOUT hibernation in a climate like NC? Perhaps an enclosure attached to a smaller temperature controlled greenhouse that's closed off to her during hot weather? If there's any good threads you know, go ahead and tag them. I've been reading through a bunch, but there's thousands of them, so I'm sure I've missed some good ones.

Thanks!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If you're able to dig, I'd do a greenhouse with an attached yard, wouldn't block it off during hot weather. Make an area inside with a basking lamp during winter. Could put shelving about 3ft above and have plenty of space for growing plants.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
If you're able to dig, I'd do a greenhouse with an attached yard, wouldn't block it off during hot weather. Make an area inside with a basking lamp during winter. Could put shelving about 3ft above and have plenty of space for growing plants.
Very neat, I think I’d be able to figure that out. Thanks for attaching the video explaining it! Having some nursery space for plants and young trees is a definite plus, so like that shelving idea.

We have a mini excavator, so digging will be easy. Do you have a set-up like this, or know someone who does? Have the general design in my head, but seeing some pictures could be helpful.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I've done a few but am horrible at taking pictures while working. I think your weather works well with the concept since you dont have a long really cold winter. This is from Virginia so you should be a little warmer than the temperatures it shows. Looks like 5ft deep stays 50*+ in the coldest winter days; the air pumped underground should heat it above that, so I'd think it should keep the greenhouse at a temperature comfortable for a Russian. At the very least, a safe temperature for the Russian. Will probably still need the basking area in the winter. I have even less winter than you usually (Texas), so the cooling it provides in the summer is just as big of a benefit.

time-lag-vs-depth.gif
(https://web.archive.org/web/20120822160141/http://www.geo4va.vt.edu/A1/A1.htm)

'Climate battery' on youtube should have tons of examples. This video shows the basics of installation of the excavation/climate battery.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
I've done a few but am horrible at taking pictures while working. I think your weather works well with the concept since you dont have a long really cold winter. This is from Virginia so you should be a little warmer than the temperatures it shows. Looks like 5ft deep stays 50*+ in the coldest winter days; the air pumped underground should heat it above that, so I'd think it should keep the greenhouse at a temperature comfortable for a Russian. At the very least, a safe temperature for the Russian. Will probably still need the basking area in the winter. I have even less winter than you usually (Texas), so the cooling it provides in the summer is just as big of a benefit.

View attachment 347175
(https://web.archive.org/web/20120822160141/http://www.geo4va.vt.edu/A1/A1.htm)

'Climate battery' on youtube should have tons of examples. This video shows the basics of installation of the excavation/climate battery.

Fantastic, thank you for all this! I’ll check out those other videos, and see what I can come up with.