HELP! Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and why my RT is acting weird?

cheerios586

Location (City and/or State)
Graham, Washington
Hi,

I've increase basking temp to close to 100 degrees, cool side is 70 degrees and middle is 80 degrees. Yoshi has been off her food mostly, eating very little which I change up her food constantly from spring mix, collards, turnip leaves, etc. Her feces is somewhat hard, harder than it normally is, she's not going as often and I get little rabbit turds (2 today) when she does go. I've increased her soak to everyday for 30 minutes instead of every other day 20 minutes. I currently gave her some butternut squash with her calcium sprinkled on it in hopes she would eat. She ate almost all of it. I am going to give her some more later with aloe on it and see if that helps. She did urinate today in her bath water and is a normal view. Her current enclosure has water for her all the time, obstacles and is 40" x 74" currently.

My concern is her hiding all the time, not basking like she should, and little eating and defecating. What could be the problem and what am I doing wrong or what can I do to help her. I live in WA State and it's too cold for her to go outside and I wouldn't feel comfortable her being freed. Putting up outside pen for summer if it ever gets here.

Attachments

• Yoshi's house.jpg
    Yoshi's house.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28

Bambam1989

East Texas
What area of Washington?
To help her feel a little more comfortable about moving around I would add items with more overhang. Things she can walk under and creates an umbrella affect. Small fake palm trees perhaps?

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
What area of Washington?
To help her feel a little more comfortable about moving around I would add items with more overhang. Things she can walk under and creates an umbrella affect. Small fake palm trees perhaps?
Pierce County, Graham area, near MT Rainier. I'll go see if I can get some hanging over plastic plants tomorrow and add some overhang items. We put her outdoor enclosure up tonight, it's a 4' x 6' large dog kennel, she just needs some toys, etc in there now. I'll post a photo of it within the next few days when I get a little environment/habitat going for her. Thank you very much for the good advice. I did take her out in the backyard for about an hour, which she stayed awake the entire time walking from one side to the other trying to get into my flowerbeds. Didn't want her in the flowerbeds as the pest control was just here spraying next to the house and around them. We get a lot of slugs, yuk! Guess because were wet most the time.

Where in WA are you?

Bambam1989

East Texas
Pierce County, Graham area, near MT Rainier. I'll go see if I can get some hanging over plastic plants tomorrow and add some overhang items. We put her outdoor enclosure up tonight, it's a 4' x 6' large dog kennel, she just needs some toys, etc in there now. I'll post a photo of it within the next few days when I get a little environment/habitat going for her. Thank you very much for the good advice. I did take her out in the backyard for about an hour, which she stayed awake the entire time walking from one side to the other trying to get into my flowerbeds. Didn't want her in the flowerbeds as the pest control was just here spraying next to the house and around them. We get a lot of slugs, yuk! Guess because were wet most the time.

Where in WA are you?
Eatonville area here!
It should be warm enough for your tort to be outside this next week. If it is sunny and hits 70 I take mine outside.
Yes, we have slugs that look like slithering dog turds[emoji33]

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
We are tortoise neighbors..
How cool! We are tortoise neighbors!!! I thought I was the only one in this area. haha I've been stressing since we bought Yoshi from PetSmart. She came with diarreah and loaded with 3 kinds of worms when we first got her. She's grown like crazy this past year, but now I'm questioning my habits with her that they are not enough since she's constipated, may be bored, etc. I was waiting for end of July or August (you know the only warm months we usually have haha) to put her outside.

I know what you mean about the slugs, they're gross!

I couldn't wait to post yoshi's outdoor pen. Was really easy to set up, has a door that latches and will be perfect, I think once I finish the decor. My husband says she shouldn't be able to burrow under since the grass is sod and has a nylon type mesh at the roots. I'm not too sure about that, she's pretty resourceful, what's your opinion on that?

Attachments

• 20180611_213024.jpg
    20180611_213024.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 12

Bambam1989

East Texas
I would still keep an eye out for any burrows that she may start. Id also put some kind of visual barrier around the bottom, maybe some wood? What kinds of plants do you have in mind for it?
What types of plants/weeds do you have access to? If you feel like you need more variety, let me know... I have LOTS!

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
I was just looking the forum for plant info on what plants and stuff to put in there. I was going to put a 9" to 12" boarder around the bottom. I have small dogs and I don't want them to mess with her and I don't want to entice her to wanting out. Thought I would put a box in there and partially fill it with substrate in and around it. She'll also need a water dish, could use a ceramic tray like she has in her inside enclosure. I have 2 half log bridges, not sure what else to put in it. Any suggestions?

Bambam1989

East Texas
I was just looking the forum for plant info on what plants and stuff to put in there. I was going to put a 9" to 12" boarder around the bottom. I have small dogs and I don't want them to mess with her and I don't want to entice her to wanting out. Thought I would put a box in there and partially fill it with substrate in and around it. She'll also need a water dish, could use a ceramic tray like she has in her inside enclosure. I have 2 half log bridges, not sure what else to put in it. Any suggestions?
That sounds great

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am just wondering if you have the correct level of humidity, they require a high level as they are rainforest tortoises.

Slugs and snails make great redfoot tortoise food, but NOT if they have been sprayed! Watch out for any sprayed or treated insects, etc. getting into her enclosure.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
I am just wondering if you have the correct level of humidity, they require a high level as they are rainforest tortoises.

Slugs and snails make great redfoot tortoise food, but NOT if they have been sprayed! Watch out for any sprayed or treated insects, etc. getting into her enclosure.
Hi,

She's a Russian Tortoise not Redfoot isn't that different. Her humidity I keep around 80 have to wet it down twice daily since it's so open. I don't feed her any insects, should I? I thought she was a vegetarian?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi,

She's a Russian Tortoise not Redfoot isn't that different. Her humidity I keep around 80 have to wet it down twice daily since it's so open. I don't feed her any insects, should I? I thought she was a vegetarian?
OK - I was thinking RT meant Redfoot Tortoise. really don't know too much about Russians!