Help!!! Can't Keep up the humidity!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiated Tortoise

5 Year Member
I have two radiated tortoises, i cant get my humidity above 30%.
Any tips, I'v been spraying allot, have a clay humidifier, have a big drinking bowl.
I was thinking of getting one of those zoo-med waterfalls, hows that?
i have a 120x60x50 cm terrarium.

Thanks

montana

5 Year Member
What kind of mulch do you have ??

You can put a lot of moisture into cypress or coir ..

I seldom mist any more but rather [dump and stir] ..

While the air in the enclosure may not read the numbers you want the mulch is at 70 to 90 percent and makes up for it ...

montana

5 Year Member
Decrease ventilation ....Higher humidity...

Increase ventilation ....Lower humidity ...

Radiated Tortoise

5 Year Member
i will try that, thanks for the tip

montana said:
What kind of mulch do you have ??

You can put a lot of moisture into cypress or coir ..

I seldom mist any more but rather [dump and stir] ..

While the air in the enclosure may not read the numbers you want the mulch is at 70 to 90 percent and makes up for it ...

What kind of tortoise do you have?

Badgemash

5 Year Member
I also subscribe to the dump and stir method (using coir and peat mix), plus a zoomed reptifogger. The fogger seems to work well, the mist drifts across the basking area and into the hides without lifting into the air very much. Just be forewarned, the evaporation from the fog will drop the temps so you do have to compensate for that (and turn it off at night). Also you have to use distilled water in it, which is kind of a pain.

-Devon

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
I keep the humidity and temps up by having my enclosures mostly covered. My house tends to be chilly, and the air is extremely low humidity, so partial covers is my best solution.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
A few basic physics lessons:

1. Hot air rises, and humidity will rise with it. Openings at the top of the habitat allows the warm, moist air to escape. Vent holes should usually be on the sides.

2. Humidity is made from energy (usually heat) and water. In my habitat, there are waterproof heating cables under the cypress mulch. By pouring water in the substrate, it heats up, spreads the heat evenly, and creates nice warm humidity. The heat and humidity rise up past the tortoises and collect in hides, etc.

Little things, like misting, plants, and pouring water in a cool substrate help, but big things like humidifiers, heated substrate systems, etc. help more. Mostly enclosing the habitat, in a smart way, helps a lot also.

Status
Not open for further replies.