Help choosing

Alexis.gargione

Location (City and/or State)
Tatum, tx
I'm wanting to know what tortoise would be best suited for east tx? It's humid subtropical weather here. I'll have to keep mine as an indoor pet. Just want it to be as comfortable as possible. I'll still be taking it outside for some sun.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm wanting to know what tortoise would be best suited for east tx? It's humid subtropical weather here. I'll have to keep mine as an indoor pet. Just want it to be as comfortable as possible. I'll still be taking it outside for some sun.
Most species will work for you, and all species will need some help with temperatures and housing.

Red foots or yellow foots would do well there, as will elongata or manouria. No reason you couldn't keep a leopard or sulcata if you want something that gets big. Burmese or Indian stars. How about hermanni, marginated, or a greek? Pancakes?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are you being realistic about the space you have indoors?
A Redfoot or a single Yellowfoot will require an 8x8' enclosure as an adult.
If you get a younger one, you can house him in a smaller area and you'd have time to set up an outdoor pen

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Basically you have to decide what you want and don't want, what you can and can't do. And what's best for you and the tort.