[HELP!] Dent in the middle of the shell

ssrttwt

10 Year Member!
Hello everyone! I have a baby radiated tortoise. She started growing a dent in the middle of the shell. See the picture. I am almost certain that it is not because of external damage. The picture was taken a couple of weeks ago. The dent seems still growing. She eats a lot and is healthy. Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

WechatIMG3505.jpeg

yaycolin

Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, CA
Hello everyone! I have a baby radiated tortoise. She started growing a dent in the middle of the shell. See the picture. I am almost certain that it is not because of external damage. The picture was taken a couple of weeks ago. The dent seems still growing. She eats a lot and is healthy. Any ideas? Thanks a lot!
View attachment 347236
My Burmese Stars have the same "dents" on their shells. I am not sure what causes it. Maybe just the way the keratin builds up. I don't believe it is any cause for concern.

ssrttwt

10 Year Member!
My Burmese Stars have the same "dents" on their shells. I am not sure what causes it. Maybe just the way the keratin builds up. I don't believe it is any cause for concern.
Thank you! How are they looking like now? Do the dents smooth out over time?

ssrttwt

10 Year Member!
Nope, they are still there and look the same. They haven't grown though, so I suppose they are less noticeable as the tortoise gets bigger.
Got it. Thank you! I will report back after some time!

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Balto. MD
My Sulcata has a few on his shell, nothing to worry about. Overtime with growth it may continue or it may just start growing smooth again, just remember to soak and keep the humidity up so the area stays moist and don't dry out. Here is a picture of Sammy with a couple spots on his shell, nothing to worry about. Your Tortoise is looking look, nice and smooth.

Attachments

• 20220725_201948.jpg
    20220725_201948.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

ssrttwt

10 Year Member!
My Sulcata has a few on his shell, nothing to worry about. Overtime with growth it may continue or it may just start growing smooth again, just remember to soak and keep the humidity up so the area stays moist and don't dry out. Here is a picture of Sammy with a couple spots on his shell, nothing to worry about. Your Tortoise is looking look, nice and smooth.
Thank you for the advice and the picture! Yeah she has been kept in closed chamber > 80% humidity and soaked daily.