Help!! Do I have an emergency? Heat DT AZ.

AZGirl

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Couldn’t find Parker this morning. He has whole yard, can’t get out. But when I finally did, he’s under shed for shade. It is now 99 out and he’s not moving, except his head. I moved water over there as far as I can reach and some food. He still in same spot in shade, but it is really hot. I am in sixties. Can’t reach him or crawl under. I sprayed him with garden hose just now. Worried he could get dehydrated. Rain cloud forming but don’t know if we’ll get a monsoon. Should I keep spraying him?

AZGirl

Arizona
I would try to keep him cool, although 99 isn't all that bad. Basking temp is 95-100.
See how/what he does when the sun goes down.
After I hosted him, came back in, he got moving. Still under shed, so I sprayed water and called him. He turned right around and came out!! Phew! It is SO, not fit for man or beast.

I moved him, sprayed him, and he’s eating now.

he comes when I call him, albeit I wish he were faster???

I am a little neurotic. You know, inter web says a DT could dehydrate in a cpl hours of high temps.

thank you so much for replying. Parker is safe, moving, wet and eating.

???????????????

Attachments

• 68DAB04A-D5FD-4B46-9D1F-705AF131E77C.jpeg
    68DAB04A-D5FD-4B46-9D1F-705AF131E77C.jpeg
    502.4 KB · Views: 12

zovick

10 Year Member!
After I hosted him, came back in, he got moving. Still under shed, so I sprayed water and called him. He turned right around and came out!! Phew! It is SO, not fit for man or beast.

I moved him, sprayed him, and he’s eating now.

he comes when I call him, albeit I wish he were faster???

I am a little neurotic. You know, inter web says a DT could dehydrate in a cpl hours of high temps.

thank you so much for replying. Parker is safe, moving, wet and eating.

???????????????
He looks happy. Good job!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yay, so glad all is well.
You might want to think about setting up a room or small area inside the house incase your temps keep going up during the day. You could keep him inside during the hottest part of the day and let him out towards evening when it gets cooler and over night. Even if you never had to use it, would be good to have incase.