Help! Don't know if tortoise should hibernate

Gandalf the Turtle

Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
Hello everyone,

I've had my Hermanns tortoise for roughly a year now, making her around 2 years old.

Last year I was not able to hibernate her as I did not meet those requirements at the time. This year I was planning on putting her in hibernation around mid-December, but after a doctor's appointment two weeks ago I was told she has worms. I've given her the medication and will have to do so again in just over a week.

The current situation is that she's got roughly 3-4 hours of light (I've been decreasing it by one hour each week), doesn't eat almost anything (probably because of the light-no light ratio) and is at a temperature of 10-12 degrees during night time.

I know Hermanns tortoises have to go into hibernation every year, but I don't know if I can do it this year. The vet told me to increase her "day time" to around 6 hours, but I don't have 6 weeks after giving her the second round of medication to reduce it to 1 hour as I'm going on holiday shortly before Christmas, which was when she was supposed to be hibernating. I have everything else prepared: a fridge, a shoe box, etc.

I hate doing this, but I fear the only thing I can do is to increase the amount of day time she gets back to 12 hours. I am afraid that she hasn't eaten enough to survive the planned two-week hibernation or that the parasites get the best of her while she's in her slumber.

I am in panic and do not know what to do. I am the only person I know who owns a tortoise, and fear for her life. Please help me, give me some advice. I do not know what to do!

Thank you to anyone who answers. I really need some advice; I don't want her to die :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just put the lights/heat back on for 14 hours a day and don't allow this tortoise to brumate this winter. Once it's been healthy and has no parasites all summer and fall, then you can worry about brumating next winter. So, calm down, turn the lights back on, soak the tortoise daily in warm water for at least 15 minutes, feed it, and things should be just fine.

Gandalf the Turtle

Netherlands
Thank you Yvonne :) I really appreciate the response.

Also, how can I avoid that the tortoise gets parasites throughout the year?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A small amount of parasites is normal. The way you ensure he doesn't get an overload is to keep his enclosure clean of feces.