Help eggs and I'm confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raeanncarr1

5 Year Member
My box turtle laid two egg one was bad had a big crack the York was everywhere so I got rid of it. And the other look. Like someone step on it and I was not sure if it is good still I think that she going to have more eggs I have no clue what to do there's no male in her tank with her so will they hatch ? I need help

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365375294.842486.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
I do not think they will hatch unless she was kept with a male previously. If the egg was crushed I doubt It will hatch because the yolk could have been distorted. Also turtles can retain sperm for periods of time so if she was kept with a male box turtle then she most likely laid fertile eggs. If she laid the eggs above the ground the chances of the egg being fertile would be slim. I hoped this helped. - Ben

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does this turtle ever have access to any sort of natural substrate? If you don't provide them with somewhere to lay, they could become eggbound in the future.

If this turtle has never had contact with a male, then the eggs will not hatch.

Raeanncarr1

5 Year Member
Half of her cage has a reptile bark stuff

I not sure if she has been with a male because I got her a year ago the people who had could have had a male I don't know

She laid above but she was being lazy maybe

The egg does look crushed but no one was touch it I'm confused

If she has more what should I do I take them away from her

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365377562.705178.jpg she also has assbeen beding

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Heat lamps are necessary, or heat pads, or any form of heating element to sustain proper temps in any environment. I would set her up in an enclosure with solid dirt, and mulch mixed together. Boxies like to burrow in loose substrate too. Make sure your enclosure has good temps high 70s-low80's on one side and an area so they can bask in on the other side, with temps around 90-100. The best situation depending on where you are will be in an outside enclosure. She obviously didn't lay the eggs their because she was lazy. She laid them their knowing their was not a proper nesting site to lay them so she just expelled them wherever she wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.