Help eyes swollen shut and loosing weight.

Dawn555125

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Ive had Hansel for 13years. I am unsure of his actual age because he was given to me by the humane society after his previous owner passed away (appearently she was an elderly lady who had him cause they were easy to care for)
I was given him and his brother Gretel. Unforchantly vets in my area wont touch them and Gretel passed away about 7 years ago due to a rapid eye infection because of this.
Hansel lives in a 4X4 open air enclosure with direct sun light, a heat source. And eats romaine fruit and other assorted goodies and treats. Here in the past 2 weeks he has quickly been loosing weight and his eyes swollen shut. He occationally goes in the yard for some fun time and even has free run of the house on occation. But he had been in his enclosure for 2 weeks straight before this occured. Due to overly busy scheduals...And i didnt want to let him out while his eyes are shut due to he wont enoy it if he cant see... He gets warm bath soaks for about 30-45 min once a week. Hes also shedding around his neck currently..

Attachments

• 15977627052126826848281040056249.jpg
    15977627052126826848281040056249.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Is this a Russian Tort? Can you upload more pix of the current enclosure. Sounds like a few things are wrong here. I can see the beak looks very overgrown.

Welcome to the Forum. Lots of experienced keepers here to help!

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
What type of bulb? His diet needs to mostly compose of weeds and flowers. Read this care sheet...

Dawn555125

Virginia
Yes he is. He has always looked this way since ive gotten him with his beak. I always thought they looked long but once again no vet near here will touch them... He has a standard repti heat lamp and a uva grow light along with direct sun light. that he has used for past 13yrs without issue. (Gretels eye infection came from a sick box turtle my past roommate put in the space thinking she could keep it. It was promptly returned to the wild when i came back from vacation). The only thing that has changed in his enclosure is it now has a wire cageing over it due to my hubby has a cat. And i did not like it in his enclosure (roughly 4 yrs ago).

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Yes he is. He has always looked this way since ive gotten him with his beak. I always thought they looked long but once again no vet near here will touch them... He has a standard repti heat lamp and a uva grow light along with direct sun light. that he has used for past 13yrs without issue. (Gretels eye infection came from a sick box turtle my past roommate put in the space thinking she could keep it. It was promptly returned to the wild when i came back from vacation). The only thing that has changed in his enclosure is it now has a wire cageing over it due to my hubby has a cat. And i did not like it in his enclosure (roughly 4 yrs ago).
Do you mind taking a pic of the enclosure like @Maro2Bear said?

Dawn555125

Virginia
What type of bulb? His diet needs to mostly compose of weeds and flowers. Read this care sheet...
He eats weeds clovers and such while outside. He refused to eat the pellet puff like food in stores. So i just give him the best mix i can.