Help! Had a tortiose break into our yard

Marginated.Oakley

Location (City and/or State)
California
Definitely a redfoot tortoise!! Easy care for it would be feeding greens like kale or spring mix from the store. They have to be soaked In shallow water so they can be hydrated. Try to keep them warm or out in the sun for at least an hour. Try posting on a neighborhood website or even Craigslist to notify your neighbors that you have them!! Thank you for trying to help them!!

Daniel molina

Tx
Hi there,

So fair warning, I know nothing about tortoises. I live in Orange County California, in the middle of a huge suburban sprawl. Yet some how we have had 2 tortoises pop in our yard in the last 6 weeks. We have no clue why.

So right now we are contacting local rescues in hopes of finding this lil guy a safe home. We have 3 dogs, and are NOT a good choice.

So until we can find drop this lil dude somewhere safe we wanted to provide some kind of food. However we are struggling to identify them. Could I get some assistance?
View attachment 317123
5 inches long currently.

View attachment 317124
Picked them up to put them in the box and to look at the under-shell (trying to keep handling to a minimum.)
View attachment 317125
close up of the limbs. The spots look red/orange in light and yellow otherwise.
View attachment 317127

View attachment 317128 View attachment 317129 here are the front and back legs.
Another reason why we would like to know is if this lil guy in threatened/ endangered we want to be even more cautious in handling.

Thanks for your time.
Hi my name is Daniel and I was wondering what you were going to do with the tortoise. I wanted to ask you if you were going to give it away cause I would really like to adopt it I will feed him every day have a uv light for him and a shelter. Please text me at 12144622988 in case your giving him away would really appreciate it. Thanks and have a great day

HammerSpaced

Huntington Beach, CA
Hi my name is Daniel and I was wondering what you were going to do with the tortoise. I wanted to ask you if you were going to give it away cause I would really like to adopt it I will feed him every day have a uv light for him and a shelter. Please text me at 12144622988 in case your giving him away would really appreciate it. Thanks and have a great day
Hello, if we can't find her owner or decide not to keep her, we will be selling her. We do not wish to have her end up in a poor living condition, and would be thoroughly screening those seeking to purchase her.

HammerSpaced

Huntington Beach, CA
Be very cautious of any new member wanting a free tortoise/turtle. They usually only want free ones to flip and sell.
You can click on their profile and see what kind of postings they have done. It's usually only asking for free tortoises.
Yeah we have had a few people that made me uncomfortable in how they approached me about wanting her.
On a different site, they sent me a message telling me to text them and then disappeared from the website. I was like oh hell no.

HammerSpaced

Huntington Beach, CA
1612482799593.png
Update:
So this is the set up we got together yesterday, I couldn't get fine orchid bark easily. So this is Orchid Moss, (suggested by a reptile enthusiast/vet on a discord server). This is just a temp set up, if we keep her a larger enclosure will be purchased.

She is laying on the food we got her (clovers, and dandelions). She ate the flower first. We have some meal-worms, spinach, carrots, sweet potato, and strawberries to mix up her diet... also some calcium powder

She had a short walk in the sun today, planning on giving her some more sun time tomorrow.

Brown thing is a "hide" for her. She likes digging under it to sleep.

We are getting a lamp delivered today, will get a better one if we keep her.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I’ve noticed that this is the 4th time today across various threads that you have asked people to contact you about rehoming tortoises. What is it you are looking for? I see this is only your 6th post...

Daniel molina

Tx
I’ve noticed that this is the 4th time today across various threads that you have asked people to contact you about rehoming tortoises. What is it you are looking for? I see this is only your 6th post...
I’m trying to find any type of sulcata or redfoot tortoise that are females or whatever type of gender that I can find that are king of in between 2-4 years old. Right now I have three sulcata tortoise. Two are 3 months old and the other one is 11 months old. I’m also trying to grow my collection of tortoise and trying to help out tortoise that are getting sold or owners that can’t take care of their tortoise no more cause they change house or for other reasons.

Daniel molina

Tx
Hello, if we can't find her owner or decide not to keep her, we will be selling her. We do not wish to have her end up in a poor living condition, and would be thoroughly screening those seeking to purchase her.
I’m actually interested on purchasing the tortoise if you don’t want it no more or can’t take care of it. I also think it’s a redfoot tortoise cause of his legs and you can also feed him some Romaine Lettuce cause most of the tortoise like that type of lettuce. And thanks

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I’m actually interested on purchasing the tortoise if you don’t want it no more or can’t take care of it. I also think it’s a redfoot tortoise cause of his legs and you can also feed him some Romaine Lettuce cause most of the tortoise like that type of lettuce. And thanks
@Yvonne G
@Tom