Help! He will only eat outside

Scute Mob

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern CT
I've had my five month old redfoot since Wednesday. He came from a reputable forum member. Since I've gotten him, I've only seen him eat a bite of kale while inside his enclosure.
When I bring him outside he mows down on clover and a little leafy grass. He hasn't touched the grass and clover I put in his enclosure.
So far I've offered: Clover, grass, raddicio, kale, collards, opuntia cactus
I saw him bite the cactus but he didn't eat any of that or anything else.
Today was most likely the last day it's warm enough to have him outside.
What do I do and what can I try to entice him with inside his tank?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I've had my five month old redfoot since Wednesday. He came from a reputable forum member. Since I've gotten him, I've only seen him eat a bite of kale while inside his enclosure.
When I bring him outside he mows down on clover and a little leafy grass. He hasn't touched the grass and clover I put in his enclosure.

Just keep offering food...he is still new so keep that in mind. ? Also, when you l ut the offering in his enclosure...walk awY and let him have some privacy..some don't like to be watched..I have to little redfoot here that will not eat if I am within eyesight...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Just keep offering food...he is still new so keep that in mind. ? Also, when you l ut the offering in his enclosure...walk awY and let him have some privacy..some don't like to be watched..I have to little redfoot here that will not eat if I am within eyesight...

Apology for typos..using mini tablet and typos are guaranteed when I do..

Prairie Mom

When I first got my tortoise, it took a few days for her to eat well when I was around. The first time she was willing to eat in front of me was when I fed her wheat grass. I put a whole little pot in with her and eventually she couldn't resist it. Later, I found that my tortoise ate the best after having a warm morning soak. Eventually that became her routine and I soaked and fed her every morning. Now she is relaxed enough to eat and do as she pleases regardless of circumstance. Try a few things out and give him time to feel comfortable. I feel certain that hunger and a need for stability and routine will eventually kick in and this will work itself out.:)

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
Do you have the proper lighting in his enclosure, if so do you wear anything on your hands (lotion) that would change the smell of the weeds you've pulled up and tossed into the enclosure?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is amusing because I have a RF tortoise that would clear her plate....so long as no one was looking.
This went on for many months.
I only recently got to see her eat and now she couldn't care less what is going on around her.
They actually can't digest food if they are under 80 degrees. They will often slow or stop feeding if they get too cool. Are your inside temps O.K.?

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
I have a 10.0 UV strip light and a 150Watt CHE that is on a thermostat. I had the CHE and the thermostat reader on one side of his 40 gallon tank. Although it was holding the temps on that side in the high 80s, the other end was VERY low, under 80. That is where he was spending the most time. Now the CHE is in the center with the reader still on the outside. Under it at its hottest point it stays around 90 and the edges of the tank stay around 80-82. I have as closed of a chamber as possible with Tin foil covering all of the lighting.
He is eating MUCH better. He was shipped at 82g, last week was 78g, and today was 81g! I am very pleased he is gaining weight. He is LOVING the clover, endive and dandelion greens.

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
His weight fluctuates, but today he was at 85g! He is finally going crazy for things other than clover. He munches on the plants in his tank, devours endive and dandelion greens.