Help! Hermanns “gasping”(?)

TortoiseBlobs

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

Up front I’ll just say that while typing this, things feel less scary than when I started. But I’d still love some consult!

Kirby, my 6 yo Dalmatian Hermanns started acting distressed this evening after eating some pellets of mushy mazuri. She was doing the following in 5-15 sec increment, and it has since seemed to calm down after about 20 scary minutes or so:
—making an exhaling sound
—while sticking her head out and opening her mouth, about 25-50% wide (not quite a yawn and only for a second)
—wiping her face with the back of her paw
I’m linking a video from when this was transitioning from happening frequently to infrequently.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hc4bgKnwpBf_PT1ju817ocMpe_c8NonX/view?usp=drivesdk

Other than that she is acting calm/normal.
After watching the distressed seeming behavior, like something was caught in her throat mildly enough to bother her but not panicky, go on for a minute or so, my wife and I read what others had written about similar behavior and decided to follow some Forum advice to bathe her. I just gave her a shallow warm soak and she pooped and urated (she had urated a bit earlier today too and the urates were dry). As the behavior continued I opted to remove her and she has slowly calmed down and seems to be more relaxed and not distressed now, but every few minutes she is still doing a little exhalation /mouth opening a little. I wish I could be sure the worst has passed but I don’t know what happened in the first place.

I used a bright light and tried to see if anything was in her nostrils and think not,though those holes as so tiny it’s hard to tell.

I’m all ears if anyone has any idea what happened/ may still be happening and if there’s anything I should do other than monitor her.
THANK YOU!

TortoiseBlobs

5 Year Member
Quick update, she ate a little more of the dried mazuri left on her eating rock and then headed off to bed. I think I have heard her sniffing / exhaling a little but mostly she seems to be asleep. I will continue to monitor. I wish I knew what happened! ?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Quick update, she ate a little more of the dried mazuri left on her eating rock and then headed off to bed. I think I have heard her sniffing / exhaling a little but mostly she seems to be asleep. I will continue to monitor. I wish I knew what happened! ?

Hello and welcome!
I am so glad to hear she continued to eat. That means she wasn’t choking.
But if she is sneezing or breathing with an opened mouth it usually indicates that she might have a URI (upper respiratory infection) or in us humans a little “cold”
Keep her warm under a Che bulb and keep soaking her in warm water and you could add pedialite (unflavored) to the water to give her some electrolytes) and monitor her. If this continues she might need a vet to give her medicine (like penicillin).
As for her nose.... it is a good idea to get one of those nose sucker things they use in hospitals for babies. I keep one on hand and if mine gets anything stuck up or clogged up her nose I use it to clean it out until I can get to a vet (if need be).
They are cheap and sell them everywhere.
CVS, Walmart, shop rite, Walgreens etc...
Good luck and I will be following this thread for up dates! Again the best of luck to you!
My prayers and well wishes are with you!
???❤️❤️❤️❤️?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

Sorry here I am again...
forgot to say I’ll call on the experts to help out too!!!!
@Yvonne G
@Tom
@Maggie T
@Zostrick
@Chubbs the tegu
@Blackdog1714
@ zeropilot

TortoiseBlobs

5 Year Member
Hi @Chefdenoel10 @ZEROPILOT and @Blackdog1714

Thank you all so much for the support. Kirby has been doing much better as this week has passed. On Sunday/Monday there was, I would say, some lingering behavior in that she seemed a little less active, but the breathing issues were gone and she was eating and otherwise acting fine.

Shes normally a quiet breather, though yes she does run around fast when she expect food is coming!

Thanks again so much all!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi @Chefdenoel10 @ZEROPILOT and @Blackdog1714

Thank you all so much for the support. Kirby has been doing much better as this week has passed. On Sunday/Monday there was, I would say, some lingering behavior in that she seemed a little less active, but the breathing issues were gone and she was eating and otherwise acting fine.

Shes normally a quiet breather, though yes she does run around fast when she expect food is coming!

Thanks again so much all!

I am just so glad you are a observant parent!
Keep doing what you’re doing and if you need advice OF ANY KIND please come see us on THIS site.
We can give you the RIGHT advice or if need be steer you to the RIGHT place.
All the best ,
Chef ❤️??

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I am just so glad you are a observant parent!
Keep doing what you’re doing and if you need advice OF ANY KIND please come see us on THIS site.
We can give you the RIGHT advice or if need be steer you to the RIGHT place.
All the best ,
Chef ❤️??

Also if you get bored with quarantine...
Come check out the threads :
“The Nut House” and
“ Cold Dark Room” ? happy hunting!