Help! How do we attach the radiant heaters to the wall???

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
We purchased 2 100 watt Sweater Heaters from Kapidolo Farms with the intention of mounting one in each side of the tort condo. Didn't see any dimensions on the Kapidolo site. When they got here, we quickly found out that they would just fit on the back wall, but then there is no way to actually attach them because the mounting brackets cannot be accessed to put in the screws. They came with only mounting hardware (no hanging hardware). Even if they were to hang, the fit would be too tight (especially with two of them) to work properly with the roof that opens up. When my son gets home from work I'll have him open it up so I can take pictures and get the exact measurements, but for now I believe each side is 29 inches square.
Up until now we have had 150 watt CHE's hanging, but Bolt and Andi are too big for those to work safely.

Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated. TIA, Donna

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Go to the hardware store and look for 'L' shaped mounting bracket. Mount the bracket to the wall then slip the heater into the bracket.

But I'm thinking your heaters might be to big for the space???

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Go to the hardware store and look for 'L' shaped mounting bracket. Mount the bracket to the wall then slip the heater into the bracket.

But I'm thinking your heaters might be to big for the space???
We considered L brackets and Z brackets. With those you still can't get behind the face to reach the screw placement; the face extends over the back panel where the brackets are by an inch on each end, and a half inch on the top and bottom.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Some pix of the internals of where you want to place them would help us all help you. Maybe one on the wall one on the roof?

Last edited:

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Some pix of the internals of where you want to place them would help us all help you. Maybe one on the wall one on the roof?
So sorry for the delay. Between the family being in from CA for Thanksgiving and doctors' appointments for myself & my sister, I just didn't get to it. Now that we have 18 x 28 floor heaters that will be replacing the 18 x 18 ones pictured. First we need to build plywood floating floors so we can attach the heaters to them and not to the tile flooring. In the meantime, Andi and Bolt are having a great time moving them around!

The measurements for Bolt's unit are 29 1/4" front to back, 30 1/4" wide at the back wall, and 29 1/4" wide at the front wall. On Bolt's side, his is also 29 1/4" front to back, 30" across the back wall, and 29 3/4" across the front wall. The thermostats are each mounted on a corner shelf against the front and dividing wall. The electrical outlets are each mounted on the inside of the outside walls, flush with the front walls. Both sides are 32 1/2" tall. The switches to turn each side on/off are mounted on the outside of Andi's side (right as you face the condo).

The radiant heaters are 30 x 11 at the face of each unit, and 27 1/4 x 9 at the back. The mounting tabs are in the center of the 9" sides, tucked in behind the face.

If you need additional views/pictures please let me know and I'll get right on it!

Thank you in advance for any thoughts/ideas you might have. We had wanted to place them above the ceramic tile on the back walls, at whatever height would provide the best heat while not being to hot. Which begs the question - at what temperature should I set the thermostats? The condo is well insulated - when it was 110 deg plus, they would spend all day in there and come out in the evening. When they came out, their faces were cool to the touch. Right now we're going down into the low 40s at night, and forecast to be even cooler in about a week from now.

Attachments

• IMG_7482.JPG
    IMG_7482.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7588.JPG
    IMG_7588.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7827.JPG
    IMG_7827.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7828.JPG
    IMG_7828.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7829.JPG
    IMG_7829.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8985.JPG
    IMG_8985.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8984.JPG
    IMG_8984.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7823.JPG
    IMG_7823.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh! You're talking about the pig blanket, not a radient heater. I mounted my pig blanket on a piece of plywood sligtly larger than the pig blanket, then screwed 'L' brackets to the plywood and the wall

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If I'm reading it right, the back wall where you want to mount the heaters is just slightly bigger than the face of the heater?

I'd use the tabs/clips the heater comes with to attach the heater to 2 'rails' of some sort that stick out above or above/below the heater, and then attach those rails to the back wall.

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Oh! You're talking about the pig blanket, not a radient heater. I mounted my pig blanket on a piece of plywood sligtly larger than the pig blanket, then screwed 'L' brackets to the plywood and the wall
NO, I'm talking about 100 watt radiant heaters. We were going to use both. Or do you think we'll only need the pig blankets?

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
If I'm reading it right, the back wall where you want to mount the heaters is just slightly bigger than the face of the heater?

I'd use the tabs/clips the heater comes with to attach the heater to 2 'rails' of some sort that stick out above or above/below the heater, and then attach those rails to the back wall.
The tabs that came with the heaters connect on the short sides, not on the top and bottom. So while the heater fit in between the side walls, in order to use those mounts there would need to be at least 6" of space on each side to screw the connections in. There is less than 1/2" of space.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The tabs that came with the heaters connect on the short sides, not on the top and bottom. So while the heater fit in between the side walls, in order to use those mounts there would need to be at least 6" of space on each side to screw the connections in. There is less than 1/2" of space.

Yes, because you don't have clearance on the sides, you need to screw the heaters to something else that will allow you to move attachment point to the top or top/bottom. It could be a solid piece of wood, but I'd think it be easier to just use 2 strips of wood and make 'rails' that extend above or above/below the face of the heater.

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
But, there might be a way to accomplish that???? We'll give it a try.
Yes, because you don't have clearance on the sides, you need to screw the heaters to something else that will allow you to move attachment point to the top or top/bottom. It could be a solid piece of wood, but I'd think it be easier to just use 2 strips of wood and make 'rails' that extend above or above/below the face of the heater.
Ran this by my son. He says the problem is the inner walls are cement board, and so far, nothing wants to stay in it. there is a stud in the center of the back wall in each unit. Obviously there are studs in the corners, but the sidewalls have completely covered those up. More brainstorming needed!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
When theres not a stud, I favor toggle bolts over other types of wall anchors.

Alternatively, a 6-8" strip of wood the same width as the heater would allow you to attach the heater to it on the sides, but still extend above the face of the heater so you could screw it to the center stud at the top. The bottom of the wood would be just below the mounting point on the heaters.

Black, outline of heater.
brown, wood
blue, where heater attaches to wood
red, wood attaches to wall

Untitled.png
*not to scale