Help! How I get the male mating?

Kleinmanni3

5 Year Member
Hi,

I' m new here and two months ago I became kleinmanni owner. I got two adult females and one male, according to the papers all 20 years old. The previous owner had them 1,5 years ago and she hasn't ever seen them mate. The male has not shown any interest towards the females at my place either. The previous owner said that the former owner before her had been breeding with them. I have now separated the male from the females. Do you think this might work? When should I reunite them? Do you have any other suggestions to help them in paring and breeding? All suggestions and experience are welcome! I really would hope to get at least one baby!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome. From Florida.
If they are already very familiar with each other something may have to "trigger" the mating.
For example, I had a trio of Redfoot that were housed together for over a decade and the male only showed interest in the summer time and only during rainstorms...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I must confess first, before I give my advice, that I don't know anything about the Kleinmanni species, but here's what has worked for me with other species.

Keep the male separate from the females. In the male's yard, introduce a new (previously quarantined) male and allow supervised fighting. If they don't fight, put them in with the females and see if they'll fight in there.

Sometimes a male tortoise needs to get his testosterone juices flowing and a good fight seems to do the trick.

Welcome to the Forum!

I'd love to see pictures of your new tortoises.

Kleinmanni3

5 Year Member
Thank you for your answers! I would definately like to try to put to male's together and see if would make any change, but the problem is that I don't own any other males. This one is the only one and there aren't any Egyptian owners in the country I live in (Finland). So, unless I would buy from some other country and they are some extremely hard to find!! And also expensive thought :) I just would hope to get even one tiny tortoise. any other ideas?? Has someone separated their tortoise and afterwards been able to breed succesfully?

Anyone Testudo kleinmanni breeders here?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
With both my Russians and box turtles, a reunion after a separation inspires the males. So does a fresh UVB bulb, sunlight after a rainy spell, & being taken outside again after being inside for a few days.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
not every male is into it. it helps also to have more than one male. I have 4 males so if one does not want to, then there are others. The female needs also to be ready. if you aquired them new, you have to wait at least 6 months or more, to acclimate them (personal info from german kleinmann breeder).

Kleinmanni3

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot of your answers!! There are no other male's that I could find. I have now separated the male. When do you think it would be good to introduce it again? Should I also make changes in the temperature and humidity at that time?

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Mine had been together 33 years before they started mating,but they are Tunisians not kleinmanni