Help! (How to stop tortoise from biting furniture)

katie1985

Location (City and/or State)
Oldham
How do I stop Marlon the Herman tortoise stop chewing the bottom of the sofa? Or why does he do this?

Thank you

katie1985

Oldham
Simplest answer, keep him in his enclosure. Tortoises should never be allowed to roam around the floor, too much stuff they can get into.

He only roams when we’re at home and always make sure he isn’t up to no good. I’ve made sure he can’t get stuck if climb onto things that he isn’t allowed too. It’s been tortoise proof!

I’m just wondering why he does it?

Jay Bagley

Michigan
He only roams when we’re at home and always make sure he isn’t up to no good. I’ve made sure he can’t get stuck if climb onto things that he isn’t allowed too. It’s been tortoise proof!

I think they're just naturally curious, and you may get some better answers from other more experienced members. Mine tried to eat a washcloth before that I had forgotten in his enclosure. My tortoise kind of reminds me of a baby, anything he could put in his mouth, he would.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Jay is correct. Your tortoise should never. Ever be allowed to roam the floor, and this is one of the reasons why. If he ever manages to shave off a price of the sofa, it could cause all sorts of problems. Your tortoise needs a secure, large enclosure(indoors and out) that he can stay in at all times.

He might just be curious about it, or he’s slightly mineral deficient and wants minerals from it.