Help! I caught my tortoise trying to chew his artificial plant

megsayx

Location (City and/or State)
Wales
Hello I’m new here, I’m Meg and my tortoise who is a Hermann is 2ish, called Darwin. I have a few things….

Firstly I keep catching him try to chew his artificial plants in his tortoise table, he seems to be okay and is eating and drinking fine ect… how long should I be worried for….

Secondly due to this and some extended research artificial plants stents the best I have removed them his habitat is very very plain, any suggestions on what I can do to help?

He also tries to attack my finger whenever im trying to put food down. Does this mean he unhappy?

The internet doesn’t give the best advice so I thought putting a post on here with fellow tortoise owners would be the best for me and Darwin, I love my tortoise I’m just petrified I’ve hurt him by having artificial plants I wouldn’t have given them to him if I knew 😢

Thanks
Meg x

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome Meg and Darwin,, you have come to the right forum. There are very knowledgeable members here. With the most current information on torts. The next 3 to 5 days check his poop for the artificial plant. Darwin should be fine.
I don't know much about Hermann's but the other members will ask for pictures of your enclosure for Darwin. Then they can make sure everything is setup correctly. If you have been getting any information from a pet store. It is probably wrong.
Look for the caresheet here for Hermann's. It will be helpful.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some will do that others dont. Never know until it happens. Personally I don't think they should be used if the tort can reach them. It might be too late once you find out they won't leave them alone.
Do you know if he actually ate any of it?
All you can do is soak in warm water daily and watch for any signs of trouble. It likely will pass on thru.
You can plant seeds to grow grasses or get some bushy live plants, replant them in plain dirt with no fertilizers and set them so the branches hang down. Once you have had the plants for about 6 months you can plant them in the enclosure. If you have some growing in your yard that are safe, you can put those in right away.

megsayx

Wales
Some will do that others dont. Never know until it happens. Personally I don't think they should be used if the tort can reach them. It might be too late once you find out they won't leave them alone.
Do you know if he actually ate any of it?
All you can do is soak in warm water daily and watch for any signs of trouble. It likely will pass on thru.
You can plant seeds to grow grasses or get some bushy live plants, replant them in plain dirt with no fertilizers and set them so the branches hang down. Once you have had the plants for about 6 months you can plant them in the enclosure. If you have some growing in your yard that are safe, you can put those in right away.
In my year I have had him He has always loved climbing in it, I watching him try and drag once and a piece came off, I left it as I assumed he was trying to play rather than trying to eat, since pulling out the plant as it was properly stuck down in the tortoise dirt I have realised there are a few chew marks which have been made over the year I don’t think for a second it is all recent. However this is the first time I have ever caught him, I’ve removed this nibbled one and have bought some more things for his cage, I’m hoping to place the plants behind the things I have bought to avoid access of Darwin. I didn’t see him swallow it or anything but I can’t find any of the pieces now, I’ll keep a close eye on him

megsayx

Wales
Welcome Meg and Darwin,, you have come to the right forum. There are very knowledgeable members here. With the most current information on torts. The next 3 to 5 days check his poop for the artificial plant. Darwin should be fine.
I don't know much about Hermann's but the other members will ask for pictures of your enclosure for Darwin. Then they can make sure everything is setup correctly. If you have been getting any information from a pet store. It is probably wrong.
Look for the caresheet here for Hermann's. It will be helpful.
Thank you for your lovely message, I’ve stopped flapping about him potentially eating the plastic plant I can’t confirm whether he did or didn’t, I have bathed him and he has drunk loads this evening will do again tomorrow. He seems okay at the moment.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises don't play. They will climb, roam, ram, dig and climb depending on species and mate, sleep, eat, drink, and bask. That's about it.
Be sure it has enough room, 4x8 foot enclosure for an adult Mediterranean species, to roam and get exercise so it will always be able to walk properly. Not enough room and you will have problems. So don't clutter up the enclosure with stuff that's not needed.

megsayx

Wales
Tortoises don't play. They will climb, roam, ram, dig and climb depending on species and mate, sleep, eat, drink, and bask. That's about it.
Be sure it has enough room, 4x8 foot enclosure for an adult Mediterranean species, to roam and get exercise so it will always be able to walk properly. Not enough room and you will have problems. So don't clutter up the enclosure with stuff that's not needed.
I understand they don’t play I was just summarising what I see him doing. My tortoise is very small smaller than the palm of my hand and has 2ft by 2ft enclosure. Which I plan to make 4x8 foot. when he is bigger :) I made sure to do lots of research before choosing a tortoise and the breed I chose, thank you for your comment, it’s really lovely the tortoise community is so supportive x

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I do use fake plants but only for a place to hide for my Russian. I place them in a way where he can't reach them. I think any of them will try though. I've seen turtles in a pet shop trying to eat what they thought was vegetation in their tank.🙂

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello I’m new here, I’m Meg and my tortoise who is a Hermann is 2ish, called Darwin. I have a few things….

Firstly I keep catching him try to chew his artificial plants in his tortoise table, he seems to be okay and is eating and drinking fine ect… how long should I be worried for….

Secondly due to this and some extended research artificial plants stents the best I have removed them his habitat is very very plain, any suggestions on what I can do to help?

He also tries to attack my finger whenever im trying to put food down. Does this mean he unhappy?

The internet doesn’t give the best advice so I thought putting a post on here with fellow tortoise owners would be the best for me and Darwin, I love my tortoise I’m just petrified I’ve hurt him by having artificial plants I wouldn’t have given them to him if I knew 😢

Thanks
Meg x
Use potted plants or hanging plants. Pothos, spider plant, and Boston Fern all work.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome from another Welsh member!
You'll find ideas for tort safe plants at www.thetortoisetable.org.uk.
If you buy from shops it is recommended that you repot in chemical free soil after washing the roots/leaves, and leave for about a year to let the plant grow out any fertilisers and pesticides etc that may have been absorbed by the plant. If you know anyone anyone who has any established chemical free plants then see if they'll donate any or taking cuttings would be quicker. Spider plants are quick and you also get a supply of new plants off the originals.
It is easier to leave plants in pots and sink them into the substrate so that they can be easily swapped if they get nibbled or bulldozed. you can also buy seeds for tortoise safe foods which you could plant in trays for ease of swapping about.
This caresheet will help you make sure your tort has everything he needs - it is the most up to date you'll find anywhere and if you follow that your tort should be happy and healthy

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hi and welcome from another Welsh member!
You'll find ideas for tort safe plants at www.thetortoisetable.org.uk.
If you buy from shops it is recommended that you repot in chemical free soil after washing the roots/leaves, and leave for about a year to let the plant grow out any fertilisers and pesticides etc that may have been absorbed by the plant. If you know anyone anyone who has any established chemical free plants then see if they'll donate any or taking cuttings would be quicker. Spider plants are quick and you also get a supply of new plants off the originals.
It is easier to leave plants in pots and sink them into the substrate so that they can be easily swapped if they get nibbled or bulldozed. you can also buy seeds for tortoise safe foods which you could plant in trays for ease of swapping about.
This caresheet will help you make sure your tort has everything he needs - it is the most up to date you'll find anywhere and if you follow that your tort should be happy and healthy
Thanks Lyn for forwarding the information. I still haven't figured out how to do that on my phone. 🤪