help! i dont know what is on my babys tummy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blastoise91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NV
Alright. Thanks i assumed itd only be if it were unsanitary just wanted some input:) hes kept very toasty so no worries. Sleeping alot so i know he must be good in there :)

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
By the way tom...your awesome. Idk what i woulda done without u or if i would have been too late. You quite possibly saved the little ones life.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh, I didn't do anything praiseworthy...

You can still soak the little guy daily and I usually use a small hudson sprayer and gently rinse off the yolk sac or the area where it recedes into with light stream of water. Very gentle is the key, NOT a big blast. I find this the best way to remove debris and keep it relatively clean. If you have a thermometer, keep the soak water around 90-95. In this situation, I think 10-15 minutes is a good time frame.

Glad he's doing okay.

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
Lol maybe not but without knowing as soon as i did who knows how bad it could have gotten. So im soaking him right now (will everyday for a year or so. Love the thread by the way) and what is left on his stomach has turned white and soggyish like a scab after after a hot shower for us if that makes sense. It looks fantastic!! After what is there is off there is just a little scar as u explained.. i would try picks but u know much of a pain that was last time lol

And thank u ill try to clean in a little i was actually curious about that i just didnt wanna hurt the little guy.

I have been soaking exactly like that no worries.

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
As of this morning....its completely gone!! I planned in cleaning it wen i git home but when i looked...its completely gone, healed over and the the same color as the rest!!! Im soooo happy!!! Looks soft still so one more day in the humid box just to be safe i would think :) thank u everyone. So very much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's great news! Thanks for the update. You can put some food in the brooder box if you want. I do this to keep my ravenous sulcata babies from eating their paper towels. There is no rush to get him out of the brooder box. He'd be fine if you left him in there for another two weeks. Just make sure the umbilical scar is good and closed up down there.

I think we are going to need pics of your little man soon. Are you working on that? :)

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
Yes yes of course. U actually see no wound or anything anymore. Almost perfect just sift looking. So much progress the last day its amazing to see. Will wait till it looks as hard as rest of plastodon at least.

I will keep him in there a while longer. Still working my table a little bit. Almost done though :)

Ive been giving him food everyday twice a day actually. Only about a quarter sized pile and he eats about half most of the time. I did notice he took a couple tester bites out of a raised corner lol. Quite funny for u to mention that.

And pictures aplenty will be posted in my gallery as soon as i can figure out how to lol. Error messages everytime. I have have too big of file size. Not sure how to change it.

David.kim

5 Year Member
Just out of curiosity what did you pay for him. I want to grow my family and wonderong if it is cheaper at shows?

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
yes it is depending on Vendor. Big ones were pretty much online prices (minus shipping and dangers of travel!!) But its all about vendor i saw a redfoot for 75 bucks and it was beautiful . I paid 150 for this leopard hatchling from LLLreptile. There is alot to see. Then ten bucks is worth it even if u got nothing lol. Plus u get to inspect and find ur perfect pal right there in front of you. Pictures dont cut it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
David, I just want to suggest to you that price be a very minor determining factor in selecting a tortoise. The foremost priority should be its health and how it has been raised since hatching. There are a lot of people out in the world selling leopards, but very few who start them right and give them the best chance for success. Here on the forum we have several good breeders who keep their babies warm and hydrated from day one.

James, To post pics, just go to tinypic.com. Upload any size photo and then copy/paste the link into your forum post. No accounts, no info, no fees... Just a free, easy to use site.

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
Yes i tried my phone on the app and on the web. Also my laptop. Has to to wrong format. Error message everytime. Thanks though. And i definately argee NEVER put price as ur top priority :) they will be around forever. get what you really enjoy and want. Most importantly what breed you can handle having outside once they get big. Thats y i decided on leo instead of redfoot. Much better for my situation.

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
here are some pictures of the first day i got him: ) hope it works

15qzrcj.jpg

2wnaff8.jpg

e5ldmc.jpg

i38oj5.jpg

more of blastoise a few days later and healthy!!!!
i love how perfect and beautiful his little scutes are

j5xq2h.jpg

2j5apfr.jpg

bjbv48.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's looking good james. Seems like he's gonna be fine.

I see a couple of potential problems though. What are the little white gravel pieces for? That is a serious impaction risk. I'd remove those asap. And the red bulb? Is that for night? I don't like to use those during the day because it makes things look "funny" to them. Sometimes this will change their behavior and make them eat things that they shouldn't.

Just trying to be helpful. Tell me to bug off, if you don't want the advice. :)

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
Yes yes i know. Those were before i knew to take him out of the table. Rocks are gone. Table is wrapped in plastic. I have cypris multch ill put on bottom just for insulation and hold moisture. Then i plan on buying a bag of something at lowes today. Havent found exactly what to get yet but read many threads of potentials to look at. Red light is just till i get ceramic lights and is mainly to heat him since hes not in the table. Its shining down on a slighly sprayed towel to keep him nice and warm but not shining in his face. Its temporary. I have mvb for wen table is done and temps are tuned in and monitored. I plan on substrate everywhere. No rocks. I noticed him try to snag one once. Maybe a basking rock but thats all. I have a lig hide and a rock stucture type thing and i plan on making a hide of a ziploc container. He has been in brooder box as u would say for a week as of today. Table will be done in another week maximum :)

Joining this forum gave me such different info than over the web. Much changes needed to be made to the table and more thats why i still have the puny red light.

Oh and ill shine my mvb for the day so he isnt acting so lazy lol. That may be what has caused that. Thank u.

I very much like the advice. This is my first. And misinformation is all over the web. I really appreciate it.

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
My torts eyes look a little tiny sunken in. Im not sure. I could be wrong. But what causes this in torts?? Im thinking dehydration but not possitive. Wanted a little back up. He looks and acts healthy. Eyes may be fine. This is my first tort and only had for almost 2 weeks so im still learning and observing.

For extra info...he eats a good 10 to 15 leaves a day of a mix i have (variety i know. Buying more edibles soon) he is soaked every other day for 20 mins. Table is not set yet (will be within a few days) but i give him a good hour a day under the uvb (currently living in a brooder box) kept 80 to 90 degrees F in box and wen under uvb its around 75 (dry so no worries its just for some sun).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What kind of UV bulb are you using?

If he's eating good and his belly is closed up, he needs to be in a regular set up now so he can bask and thermoregulate all day long. I recommend daily soaks for such a young one.

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
I try to everyday. Ive missed maybe 4 days in 2 weeks. Its been very hectic lately trying to get his set up ready. Its more of a tiny enclosure with water and food and so on than an actual brooder box.

I have a 125 watt solar glo over the table i am finishing. All i need is C.H.E.s and auto off mechinism. Hes in much smaller area because easier to keep right untill i can buy those things with my check i get tonight. paid every 2 weeks made this hard to get done any sooner.

Also his eyes look fine now that hes fully awake and in the table under the mvb. Still curious about what the cause of sunken eyes is so i know if it were to happen. And idk if this matters but hes been poopin a lot it seems to me lol.

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
My table has a little mold already. Hasnt even been moist but one time...been a week and mold under the humidifier...im going semi insane and stressing out to the max..seems like no matter what i do theres never any progress and issues for me..

And under the water bowl...never been any water in the bowl while in the table..

Status
Not open for further replies.