Help!!! I need to rehome my sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovebug

5 Year Member
Im not new to this forum, just been gone a while. Please, before you blast me, I know that there are so many sulcatas that need homes. I never wanted to be one of those people that get rid of there tortoise because of my bad decision making. But here I am. I have a 5 yr old male sulcata that is not getting along with my desert tortoise. They have shared the same yard for the last 5 years without any problem. Now that desert tort is out of hibernation, things have changed

The reason I got the sulcata in the first place was because the local zoo near me, mixed desert tortoises with sulcatas and told me they do "fine".

My desert tort tries biting the face of sulcata and sulcata gets mad and ramms desert tortoise. He also tries to mate with him, even though they are both males. At this point, the mating is harmless, but when he is 100 lbs, he's going to crush my desert tort.

So what do I do? I cant partition my yard. I dont want to give him to just anyone. I would prefer a rescue, but there are none in my area. I'm in Austin ,TX. Any advise would be great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi lovebug:

I'm sorry to say that your zoo gave you bad information. Its never a good idea to mix species...as you're now finding out. It could have been worse, though. One of them could have ended up sick...or even dead.

I'm sorry that you have to find a new home for your sulcata, but you've come to the right place. Someone here will take him, I'm sure.

And I hope that no one here "blasts" you. Its hard to give up an animal you've taken care of for five years. And we've all made a mistake or two in our tortoise-keeping life times.

Good luck to you.

ckromulus

5 Year Member
Length and weight? Depending on these I may be able to take him off of your hands

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey, things happen. A zoo would seem to be a credible source for info, so sad that this particular person had it all wrong.

I hate to see a beloved pet given up. Partitioning your yard really isn't that hard. You can simply run a row of cinderblock 3 blocks high. You can split it or you can make one side larger or you can make an island for the DT and leave the sulcata the perimeter... There is no limit to how many ways you could do it. Best of luck to you. Sorry you are in this situation.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It is unfortunate that Austin doesn't have any real rescues. But posting here on the forum is probably the next best thing, much better than Craigslist. You should post the size and weight, and pictures if you have any.

If no one else is able to help, I will. I have a soft spot for sulcatas and have plenty of room.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
You can Try places like craiq list, i would feel save on this forum here tho.
i also love and have a soft spot for Sulcata's. private message me.
:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Well let me be the first to blast you, blast you with wishes for finding him a new good home.;) So sad after five years and such a choice to have to make. :(

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Elgin, South Carolina
lovebug said:
Im not new to this forum, just been gone a while. Please, before you blast me, I know that there are so many sulcatas that need homes. I never wanted to be one of those people that get rid of there tortoise because of my bad decision making. But here I am. I have a 5 yr old male sulcata that is not getting along with my desert tortoise. They have shared the same yard for the last 5 years without any problem. Now that desert tort is out of hibernation, things have changed

The reason I got the sulcata in the first place was because the local zoo near me, mixed desert tortoises with sulcatas and told me they do "fine".
Hello, my Name is Jay and i live on 3 acres in Sunny South carolina, I have a 9" female and I would have plenty of room for your sulcatta. If you want to work something out let me know. Jay ([email protected] )
My desert tort tries biting the face of sulcata and sulcata gets mad and ramms desert tortoise. He also tries to mate with him, even though they are both males. At this point, the mating is harmless, but when he is 100 lbs, he's going to crush my desert tort.

So what do I do? I cant partition my yard. I dont want to give him to just anyone. I would prefer a rescue, but there are none in my area. I'm in Austin ,TX. Any advise would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.