HELP ! I rescued this turtle and I can't figure out her breed !

Mr3rightside

She is VERY LARGE just over 13" of shell.
One picture is her sitting on top of my Golden Thread.
Please help me identify her.
I attached images.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't help with species, but you shouldn't have placed it with anyone else without a quarantine first.
Did you rescue it from a person or from the wild? If from the wild and it is a native species, it should be placed back where you found it but out of harms way.

Mr3rightside

I can't help with species, but you shouldn't have placed it with anyone else without a quarantine first.
Did you rescue it from a person or from the wild? If from the wild and it is a native species, it should be placed back where you found it but out of harms way.
I rescued it from a person, sorry I guess I shouldn't say rescued. He couldn't have her anymore. He had her since she was the size of a bottle cap.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Could it be a wood turtle? If so, they are protected (a North America turtle). I'm seeing a bit of a glimpse of the colorful plastron. May we see more of that part (the bottom shell)? It may help I.D. the species.

Edit: No...I just looked up pictures of the wood turtle and they're a bit red on the unexposed skin. We'll send a shout-out to some of our water turtle members:

@Anthony P @cdmay @Markw84 @mark1 @tortadise @Gerards

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
That is also one flawless specimen. They are imposing, intelligent, boisterous and altogether neat animals.
My friend **** Bartlett used to have one that would climb up into his areca palms to a level of about 6 feet. They are semi-terrestrial but do OK in shallow ponds.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very good looking turtle, though I do not know what species it is-sorry.

And a very warm welcome to the forum to both of you!

Mr3rightside

Thanks moments ago we got word from a local turtle rescue agency on her breed it is a Giant Asian Pond turtle (Heosemys Grandis)

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Welcome to the forum! Interesting enclosure there, how many gallons is it? Can you share with us a bit about how is was constructed? Love the smile on that turtle.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
FYI, they like bananas. But they make for messy poops later.
Grandis are about as close to a dog as you can get with a semi-terrestrial turtle.
When Anthony P. chimes in he'll give a lot more info.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Good for you!! My all time favorite Asia species. You won't be disappointed! You're friend did a great job with her.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Cool! There is no denying that the ID on this turtle is 100% correct. They are indeed a personable and hardy species, the largest member of a personable and hardy genus. I think the toughest part of keeping these guys would be requiring enough space and heat. Looks like you probably have that covered. I have to say, both turtles you've shown in this thread loo really nice. Beautiful growth on them.

These are one of those many fun Asian species that should eat a lot of food items, so try to be thoughtful in arranging it's diet. Just because it prefers something, don't give too much of one thing. Variety is key.

For example, with my flavomarginata, galbinifrons, and several other terrestrial Asians, I need to make sure they get enough protein, since they always eat fruits, vegetables, and pellets. With my aquatics, like nigricans, annamensis, and others, I need to remember to supplement their diets with more fruits and such, since they take pellets so readily. Just keep that in mind. This H. grand is of yours should take pellets, but be sure to offer fruits and a variety, as well.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
Looks and sounds like a super cool/fun turtle. Will you be able to include outdoor access for it, at least time to time?