Help ID this very odd turtle, please, I need every ones help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
Notice: i am in the wrong category, if some one can change it? Please do.. it wont let me delete it...

So My Girl friend has this and she is working on figuring out what he is...

The story goes, the breeder gave him as a hatching 12 years ago, now he has passed and we are trying to ID him..

But what We do know is....

Copying and pasting her comments:

This is 'Licorice' whom I received when he was just out of his egg. He's about 12 now. I'm not quite sure what he is, his plastron is a beautiful orange. When I approach the pond, everyone else flies into the water, but he sits calmly enjoying the sunshine on the bridge.

He is totally black from head to toe to tip of tail. Only orange underneath and he is huge. I thought he was a cooter but nothing matches him there.

23715_112856355400511_1000002844030.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Going to need more pictures than just that one Terra :p Need a closer carapace shot, plastron shot and a side of the head shot. Preferably taken in the shade.

Danny

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
yeah, well when i go to the bunker i will try that..... but i am going of of Felice's FB site and was trying to surprise her with an answer, if i snapp photos she will know what i am up to.....

BUT if i can get there this week I will do that...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Well, if that is it, then it is a Northern Red Belly Cooter. They are lighter and more stripey as youngsters/babies, but they darken as they get older. At 12 I would say he would qualify as mature ;)

Completely gorgeous, either way. I love the solid black, the name Licorice is awesome :)

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
she says yes, but the stripes were not familiar to her.... other wise, right on...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure its a Actinemys marmorata (pacific pond turtle, western pond turtle) and they're illegal to own.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
The breeder he/she came from listed the following cooters: Alabama red-bellied; Rio Grande; Peninsular; Eastern red-bellied; and the Texas cooter. He looks closest to the Eastern but the encyclopedia of turtles says that they do turn black but the patterns in the head do not change. This guy has no pattern on his head. It's all black.

I wonder about melanistic.

I was told...
"Licorice definately looks like he is melanistic. He could have been born that way. It happens just like the luecistic (white or lacking color). Possibly an Eastern Painted if he has a yellow plastron. I see this a lot in old Red Earred Sliders. Easterns are the largest of the Painted turtles and have scutes in a straight line on the carapace like this."

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
UPDATE!!!!!

"Hey Terra, I just picked up Licorice and sure enough, he DOES have those
markings under his chin and on his feet too. What a handsome specimen he
is. So he is an Eastern Red Bellie Cooter..............endangered? Even
better!! I did have another turned in once but it was a boy and they began
to fight."

Status
Not open for further replies.