Help Identify Species

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSaenz

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
La Mirada, CA
I adopted 4 tortoises this weekend from a member on this forum that could no longer take care of them (SpeedyKae). She was also trying to find out the species of these tortoises but I don't think there was ever a clear answer as to exactly what type of tortoises these are. Somebody said one might be a Chaco but nobody mentioned anything about the other ones. I'm not sure if they are all the same kind or not. Please see post in the 'sold' section from SpeedyKae on 11/18/11 (subject: What Should I do? Please Help) and help me identify what type of tortoises these are and maybe aproximate age if possible. I will post more pictures soon.

Thank you!! :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I believe you to have at least two CDTs in that mix (1 and 3)....but I have to admit I am much better at id'g if I can see the tortoise in person.....:D

Chaco could be a possibility in that mix as well....I am going to go and look at a couple comparisons and I will check back in with you with what I find.....

The others will likely be by to offer you their id's as well....:D

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
They all look like CDTs to me. Glad you were able to help her find them a good home. :)

DSaenz

10 Year Member!
La Mirada, CA
Kimber - You think all 4 of them might be CDTs? hmmmm.... The one she called "speedy" looks so different than the others..... but you could be right.

DSaenz

10 Year Member!
La Mirada, CA
Thanks Tom! (Sorry I didn't know how to include the previous thread on here.)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
DSaenz said:
Kimber - You think all 4 of them might be CDTs? hmmmm.... The one she called "speedy" looks so different than the others..... but you could be right.

Speedy looks like he has some shell deformities, but still looks like a CDT to me.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
ok soooooo :D I believe you to have four Desert Tortoise. With the recent species id from one to two (Gopherus Agassiz and now recognized Gopherus Morafkai) I am hung up on the fact that the first pic in the thread you referenced "appears to me" to fit the description of the newly recognized Gopherus Morafkai....which is fricken awesome, again to me :D

I can tell you one thing for certain, this spring my son and I will be camping out in the Mojave Desert area for a few days at a time and then again a bit more south for a few days and I am hoping *fingers crossed* that we will be able to see both of these.....I am sure that one of my guys here, Herman, is absolutely the description of the Gopherus Marafkai.....I am totally waiting and searching for new pics of the newly id'd species.

Now, this is TOTALLY my opinion here....but I bet if all of us CDT hosts this spring set each of our torts out and photo'd them each from above and from underside and from laying flat on the ground with them to get the perfect side profile then a front face and profile of their face we could I bet find that we have a mix of both species.....also then there is the further confusing hy brids I am sure we also will find (when I use the word "sure" that is my version of confidence based on speculation and observation and in no way infers that I am stating fact) :D but rather a thrilling excitement of what has come to light with these regal tortoise in the last 6 months.....ok, so I will stop here and attempt to curb my excitement.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

oh oh....I have to also plead with you ....please be certain to not house males and females together.....friskie little buggers :D :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the last 3 look like desert to me, the first one's shell looks funny, but I would also say it is a desert.

DSaenz

10 Year Member!
La Mirada, CA
ascott said:
ok soooooo :D I believe you to have four Desert Tortoise. With the recent species id from one to two (Gopherus Agassiz and now recognized Gopherus Morafkai) I am hung up on the fact that the first pic in the thread you referenced "appears to me" to fit the description of the newly recognized Gopherus Morafkai....which is fricken awesome, again to me :D

I can tell you one thing for certain, this spring my son and I will be camping out in the Mojave Desert area for a few days at a time and then again a bit more south for a few days and I am hoping *fingers crossed* that we will be able to see both of these.....I am sure that one of my guys here, Herman, is absolutely the description of the Gopherus Marafkai.....I am totally waiting and searching for new pics of the newly id'd species.

Now, this is TOTALLY my opinion here....but I bet if all of us CDT hosts this spring set each of our torts out and photo'd them each from above and from underside and from laying flat on the ground with them to get the perfect side profile then a front face and profile of their face we could I bet find that we have a mix of both species.....also then there is the further confusing hy brids I am sure we also will find (when I use the word "sure" that is my version of confidence based on speculation and observation and in no way infers that I am stating fact) :D but rather a thrilling excitement of what has come to light with these regal tortoise in the last 6 months.....ok, so I will stop here and attempt to curb my excitement.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

oh oh....I have to also plead with you ....please be certain to not house males and females together.....friskie little buggers :D :p

Thank you!!! Can't wait to see picture of your camping trip!

Thanks everyone! I just want to learn as much as I can about the species I have and make sure I am taking care of them properly.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I always feel like I am being silly when I ask this question, do you know the process of getting each their permit?

The reason I feel silly is that in my mind EVERYONE knows this requirement, but I go ahead and ask because so many times I have heard people hiding their tortoise from existence because they think that they are totally illegal period....or that they have no idea that the simple permit is needed......

I was told a story by a woman who told of her mother owning a CDT for almost all of her life (the mothers life long companion) and when she passed on the kids freaked out and hurridly gave that tortoise away--to a stranger---because they did not want to be caught with it....when I explained to her the simply process she had such a look on her face of such sadness....hopefully the stranger was good....huh....so sorry, have to ask? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.