Help identify sub specie of adult Hermann’s tortoise

maplecran

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Okinawa Japan
Please help to identify if my adult male Hermann’s is Western or Eastern sub specie.

I got him from someone who cant house him anymore, and according to him he is a Western Hermann’s tortoise and is about 4 years old. He weights about 450g.

I initially thought he was a Western but as i searched for the difference between the sub species the more I get uncertain which he is. I did give up already since it didnt matter by the end of the day. But I got curious again and I just thought I would free myself of it and finally ask you all.

He does look like he have a keyhole on his lower back scute, but his head looks kind of darker for a Western specie.

Here are a couple of pictures of him on different angles

B18524E2-D985-472C-9D75-CC5DC118B139.jpegB590E638-A12D-4C7D-8CD4-092908B08F3F.jpegEADEEDDB-0DCC-41E5-8604-6FE8FEF0621F.jpeg52E097C2-AA19-4FD0-8A55-156C2F439076.jpeg830C3946-A053-4E5E-B33B-F40194332346.jpeg

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
I'd say this is a pure Eastern Hermann's, or possibly some cross with Dalmatian--their ranges overlap, so that's not unlikely. Does it have ingunial scutes? I can't tell from the pic.

Giveaway that it's not a Western:
  • Pectoral and femoral scute suture lengths are about the same, usually femoral is much longer in Western
  • Supracaudal scute is not divided
  • Lack of unbroken, jet black bands along plastron
  • Humeral scute suture is more "V" shaped rather than more "U" shaped

This is what makes me think more pure Eastern:
  • The shape of the head looks more Eastern, rather than Dalmatian; it's not as blunt or rounded as a Dalmatian, particularly on the nose above the nostrils
  • Darker borders on carapace scutes have well defined black borders, rather than more ragged edges seen on Dalmatian
Less so, the Dalmatian influences I see are:
  • If he has no ingunial scutes (again it's hard to tell)
  • Slight presence of the "green heart" shape on top of head, though this isn't a 100% indicator
Ultimately I would say it's an Eastern Hermann's. He does have some good yellow colors going.

maplecran

5 Year Member
Okinawa Japan
@TeamZissou

Thank you so much for the detailed reply.
As for his inguinal scute, i am not sure which part of the scute around the leg is it so i took a picture of them instead.

Can you tell from these pictures?
5E593747-E03D-47C8-BEDF-E579F29085EE.jpegBA666045-455B-45F8-B45E-6BD323C60D0A.jpeg

I saw from the source page you shared some western and eastern can have missing inguinal scutes. Is this trait dalmatian has on most case?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
The inguinal scute is missing in most (60%) of Dalmatians, so most easterns and westerns have it. The tortoise in your photo has them.

The thread linked above has a photo of a Dalmatian with missing inguinal scutes, with a green arrow. It’s the small triangular scute at the bridge, at the abdominal scute and carapace.