Help identifying my 1st pet

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vacaville, CA
Hey all, I hope this is in the right area. I found an old picture of me and my first pet, Spike. I think he was some sort of American box turtle, but I could be totally wrong. This is the only picture I have of him.

eSEmu.jpg

I vaguely remember at the time something about a Northeastern or Northwestern box turtle? This is a memory from about 19 years ago from some illustrated guide book that my Dad got me when we got the turtle.

Thanks in advance for the help!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Box turtle all the way, looks western to me.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Could it even be an ornate box turtle ? Looks like the correct markings..

Cute pic !! :)

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
Thanks for the insight, everyone! I have barely any memory of this pet, only that the amount of time and care that I devote to my 2 sulcatas is FAR and away more than what I did with that box turtle. I was just a kid back then. That little box turtle started my obsession though hahaha...

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
: ) a very nice looking ornate boxie by the looks of it, if you dont mind me asking what happend to her? my first boxie was a three toed name jeanette after my great grandma (i thought the turtle was soooooo old) ; -) this not only started my obsession with the shelled critters but it was cut short by my mother who thought she smelled : ( thus one day my first turtle was "rehomed" to a neighbor : ( never to be heard form again, she had alot of personality : )

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
I had box turtles as a kid too. Fortunately and unfortunately.
Fortunately because it started my interest in reptiles, and I eventually cycled back around to chelonians.

Unfortunately because it was bad for the turtles I had. We went on a family trip to my grandparents farm in rural Virginia, and I came home with two box turtles I found. My dad built me a pen under the orange tree, complete with a pond. They survived much longer than they should have, considering the level of care they got. I also had a male ornate I found when we visited my grandma who moved to a farm in Kansas after my grandpa passed away. He was Mr. personality! He would stand up on his hind legs (making a shell, hind feet forward tripod) to reach a dangling treat. He would also chase bare toes for as long as he could still see them. He never caught one. I think he thought they were pinkie mice, which he loved.
I also had a three-toed that was given to me. It escaped. The others died one by one, as I neglected them during periods of time in high school and college, and one . But they started a deep-seated interest in these creatures.

Steve

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
the trials and tribulations we experiance shape the person we are to become ever changing. : ( it is too bad about your past turtles but you are a better keeper now becasue of it

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
turtlemann2 said:
: ) a very nice looking ornate boxie by the looks of it, if you dont mind me asking what happend to her? my first boxie was a three toed name jeanette after my great grandma (i thought the turtle was soooooo old) ; -) this not only started my obsession with the shelled critters but it was cut short by my mother who thought she smelled : ( thus one day my first turtle was "rehomed" to a neighbor : ( never to be heard form again, she had alot of personality : )

Ohh nooo that's soo sad !!! I would have stopped talking to my mom

turtlemann2 said:

Ohh nooo that's soo sad !!! I would have stopped talking to my mom

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
From what I can remember, we found him/her and I only had it for a few months, we didn't know much about it, besides that they hibernate, and it was getting cold, so it was probably gonna go into that cycle soon. I let it in the backyard a bunch, and one time I went back to find it, and it was nowhere to be found. There were areas in the yard that were sof enough to dig, and he did dig a bunch of times, but never that deep. I assumed he dug underground, and never saw him again. Maybe my parents found him attacked by an animal and spun me that tale, but I'll never know.

After him, about 4 years later I got 2 rescued water turtles, and one pet store red eared slider and dug them a pond that was awesome. They lived great lives for a few years, and my dad accidentally got some of his fertilizer in their pond, when he was spreading fertilizer in the yard, and they all died =/ I was about 13 at that time, and told myself I would get a turtle or tortoise when I was grown and able to take their lives into my own hands, and ensure they lived full healthy lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.