Help IDing russian for reuniting after 3 years? (W/ photos!)

mmastroth

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Hi All,
This is a long shot but I'm looking for help from any sleuths who are good at spotting unique scute patterns and other features that might help ID my Russian tortoise (male, est age 15-20 years old) who has been missing for a few years. Back story: We lost our Hermanetta in upstate NY in the late summer of 2019, and after MUCH searching that fall, assumed he did not make it through the winter. (When he was younger we thought we had a female hence the name!) We were so mad at ourselves for leaving the door open that day. I never got a lot of closure so I would occasionally search the web for found tortoises in our area, and just recently could not believe my eyes when a post from November 2019 showed a small russian that looked like ours found right in our area and dropped off at a local vet. Since then, a good samaritan at that vet has helped me connect with the family who adopted the tortoise, and though we were mostly interested to know if it was our boy still alive (!!) and if he was in a loving home, the current owners expressed interest in rehoming him.
The problem -- It's near impossible to do a positive ID here. I never got a good photo of Hermanetta's plastron but have several of his carapace and patterns.
Any thoughts based on the photos below? The first three pictures are my tortoise (some are 5+ years old), the last three pictures are of the tortoise found locally. I see a couple scute patterns that look similiar, but the main thing that's hanging my up is the mystery tortoise has very faded black patterning. Can these patterns scuff off from a few months of heavy digging and traveling outside?
Last note is that we have a call out to the fellow who actually found the tortoise outside in the fall that year in order to know more precisely in what area of our city he was found. It's a critical piece to this puzzle but so far no luck reaching him.

THANK YOU for anyone who reads this and is willing to give their thoughts!

IMG-2873.jpgIMG-2874.jpgIMG-2872.PNG

74410610_10155776938993078_2598577100956893184_n.jpeg

75636040_10155776938998078_6954879819888721920_n.jpeg
image000000_2.jpg

Attachments

• 74410610_10155776938993078_2598577100956893184_n.jpeg
    74410610_10155776938993078_2598577100956893184_n.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If I had to guess, I would say it's not yours. It's so hard though with that many years gone. The few things I seen that makes me think it's not yours are on scutes but I have no idea if they would change thru the years.

mmastroth

NY
If I had to guess, I would say it's not yours. It's so hard though with that many years gone. The few things I seen that makes me think it's not yours are on scutes but I have no idea if they would change thru the years.
Thanks, I agree it's so hard. The nuchal scute ("v" near his neck) is less sharp and pronounced on the "found" tortoise than on mine, but again I wonder if the rubbing off of ridges and outer layers could explain that. As you see from the early photos of mine, ours had lots of sort of textural ridges on the carapace.

At the same time, there are a couple scute patterns that I can almost see carried through -- a v-shape cut out on the left from middle costal scute, and a kind of Nevada-shaped dark pattern on the front marginal scute, two to the left of nuchal.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
It would be wonderful if it turned out to be your tortoise, but even if it isn't, if the current owners want to rehome him, would you perhaps be prepared to give him the loving home he needs - and accept him instead of hoping still to find Hermanetta?
Angie

mmastroth

NY
It would be wonderful if it turned out to be your tortoise, but even if it isn't, if the current owners want to rehome him, would you perhaps be prepared to give him the loving home he needs - and accept him instead of hoping still to find Hermanetta?
Angie
Yes, we are definitely considering this! We've missed having a shelly friend around. Just still not over the heartbreak.